IRC log of #novawebdev for Tuesday, 2017-09-19

*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev07:59
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev08:58
*** mjsir911_ has joined #novawebdev09:34
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev09:54
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev10:34
*** jelkner has joined #novawebdev10:41
*** replaceafill has joined #novawebdev11:09
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev11:18
jelknergood morning, replaceafill!11:44
replaceafillgood morning jelkner11:44
jelknerI'm hoping to chat with ncerna today11:44
replaceafilljelkner, yes, she told me she would email you with a couple of questions11:44
jelknergreat11:44
replaceafilljelkner, is there a deadline for that work?11:45
jelkneri'm here with ubuntourist and mjsir911 until our meeting this evening11:45
jelknerthe event is 10/21, so we have a bit of time11:45
replaceafilljelkner, ah ok11:46
jelknerbut i would like to send amity and yvonne a rough draft soon11:46
replaceafilljelkner, right11:46
jelknerso that we have time for several iterations11:46
replaceafilljelkner, that's what i told nrcerna11:46
jelknercool11:46
jelknerreplaceafill, btw, (though i imagine you already know this), ncerna's work can be paid from the $ i already sent12:06
jelknerlet me know when i need to recharge that as usual12:06
replaceafilljelkner, sure, will do12:07
jelknerand by all means, replaceafill, let me know *as soon* as we are ready to move the email list!12:08
jelkneri am super excited about that!12:08
jelkneri'll need a tour of how to access our database, too, but i'd rather wait until email is part of that12:09
jelknersince i'll have to add email addresses by hand anyway12:09
replaceafilljelkner, add email addresses by hand?12:10
jelknerthe folks who have already added themselves to the list12:10
jelknerdatabase, i mean12:10
replaceafilljelkner, oh you mean to the mailing list12:10
jelknerwill have to be added to the know mailman3 mainling list12:11
jelkneryes12:11
replaceafilljelkner, i thought the tendenci database :)12:11
replaceafilljelkner, and we have a postfix database too ;)12:11
replaceafilljelkner, too many databases!12:11
jelknerouch12:12
jelkneri thought the tendenci database *was* a postgres database12:12
jelknerare they distinct?12:12
replaceafilljelkner, it is12:12
replaceafilljelkner, tendenci uses postgresql12:12
replaceafilljelkner, postfix (for storing smtp email info) is mysql12:13
jelknerthat was what i understood12:13
jelknerohh12:13
jelkneri didn't know that12:13
jelknerseems like a waste12:13
jelknerpostfix can't use postgres?12:13
jelkneranyway, not my problem12:14
jelknerwhatever you decide, i just have to learn to use ;-)12:14
replaceafilljelkner, it can, but the use case is simple enough for us (*me*) to learn to use it12:14
jelknerokie dokie12:14
*** mr_german has joined #novawebdev13:33
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev14:17
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev15:17
jelkner!remind17:03
Big_BrotherAsk Louie to report on invoice workflow 17:03
jelkner!remind Talk about invoice workflow17:05
Big_Brother"Talk about invoice workflow" added to message queue17:05
jelkner!remind Main topic - Plan A / Plan B discussion17:05
Big_Brother"Main topic - Plan A / Plan B discussion" added to message queue17:05
jelkner!remind17:05
Big_BrotherAsk Louie to report on invoice workflow 17:05
Big_BrotherMain topic - Plan A / Plan B discussion 17:05
*** nrcerna has joined #novawebdev18:08
mjsir911!remind18:32
Big_BrotherAsk Louie to report on invoice workflow 18:32
Big_BrotherMain topic - Plan A / Plan B discussion 18:32
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev18:52
*** lelkneralfaro has joined #novawebdev18:57
*** zOnny has joined #novawebdev18:59
Big_BrotherAsk Louie to report on invoice workflow19:00
Big_BrotherMain topic - Plan A / Plan B discussion19:00
jelknerGood evening everyone!19:00
lelkneralfarohello19:00
replaceafillgood evening/afternoon19:00
jelknerz0nny says 'hi' and will brb19:00
*** ubuntourist has joined #novawebdev19:00
nrcernahello19:01
jelknerlet's dive right in to our full agenda19:01
lelkneralfarosounds good19:01
jelknerhello ncerna19:01
jelknerinvoice workflow19:01
nrcernahello jelkner 19:01
lelkneralfarowhat would you like to know?19:01
jelknerlelkneralfaro, we need train everyone to produce invoices for their own work19:02
jelknerso you don't have to do that19:02
*** Rena_ has joined #novawebdev19:02
jelkner*but*, you should be sending them19:02
jelknergood evening, Rena_!19:02
lelkneralfarookay. sounds good. 19:02
Rena_hi19:02
lelkneralfarohey Rena_19:02
ubuntouristWait... I have been producing invoices and jelkner, I thought last week you told me NOT to.19:02
jelknerso, ubuntourist, how should this work?19:03
jelknerthis is what i'm thinking, we need to optimize for two goals:19:03
jelkner1. distribute prep work to the workers themselves19:04
jelkner2. centralize accounting so lelkneralfaro can do that19:04
jelkneryou have been producing and sending invoices19:04
jelknerhow will lelkneralfaro keep track of the budget?19:04
lelkneralfaroIf someone sends an invoice out on their own19:05
jelknerso, you send your invoice to lelkneralfaro and he sends it to gallaudet19:05
*** mr_german_phone has joined #novawebdev19:05
jelkneri don't want to take too much time with this19:06
lelkneralfarothey can let me know about how much income we should be expecting19:06
ubuntouristjelkner, what I'd been doing is producing, sending to gallaudet, posting to Google Docs and sending a message to Osvaldo and mjsir911. And I'd rather not do all of it, if it can be avoided.19:06
jelknerwhat can be avoided?19:06
jelknerand by avoided, you mean someone else should do it, yes?19:06
jelknerwith our new contract, we could discuss paying someone else to do that19:07
lelkneralfaroyes, ubuntourist and I agreed that he would handle this latest invoice and then I'll handle those that follow19:07
jelknerok19:07
jelknerbut i am concerned that mr_german not send an invoice to aea without your guidance, lelkneralfaro19:07
jelknerbasically, we need a clearly understood process19:08
lelkneralfaroI agree.19:08
jelknerand you should establish that19:08
lelkneralfarohow about I come up with a solution and send it out to people tomorrow?19:08
jelkner+119:08
mr_german_phone+119:08
lelkneralfarocool, next point...19:08
ubuntourist+119:08
jelknernext point is working itself out19:09
jelkneryou signed the contract with Gallaudet for example19:09
jelknernice19:09
jelkneryou now have control of the bank account19:09
jelknerwe need to keep giving you whatever you need to be able to represent us legally19:10
jelknerand financially19:10
jelknerso you can pay replacefill, for example! ;-)19:10
jelknerso let's keep doing that19:10
lelkneralfaro+119:10
jelknernext item19:10
jelkneroh, we skipped on19:11
jelkners/one/on19:11
jelkneris our website up to date?19:11
jelknercan we switch the order?19:11
ubuntouristleklneralfaro need to get better control of the payroll company stuff too (more tomorrow).19:11
jelknerA plan / B plan should come first19:11
jelkner+119:11
jelknerdid folks see my email on this?19:12
lelkneralfaroubuntourist: yeah let's chat more about it tomorrw19:12
ubuntouristACTION nods19:12
replaceafillyes19:12
jelkneri am especially thinking about mr_german, Rena_, z0nny, and ncerna19:12
lelkneralfaroyes19:12
Rena_yes19:12
jelknerit is you all that should speak up here19:12
jelknersince as we figure this out, it impacts you directly19:13
Rena_I say b plan because I have class in 719:13
jelknerso that's what we need to talk about, Rena_19:13
jelknerthe B plan19:13
nrcernai say b plan too19:13
*** mr_german has joined #novawebdev19:14
jelknerlet me explain a bit more what i mean, since "I say b plan" indicates you may not see this the way I meant to communicate it19:14
jelknerHere is what we need for plan B from mr_german, z0nny, Rena_, and ncerna19:15
jelkner1. Each of you need to learn more of the skills needed to be a "freelance" web developer19:15
jelkner(how to manage and report your time, make invoices, look for customers, etc.)19:16
jelknersince if we arrive at Plan B in 6 months or so, it means Plan A will have failed19:16
jelknerSo we won't be able to afford to keep replaceafill and we will be looking for a replacement for lelkenralfaro19:17
jelknerdo you all understand what i'm saying?19:17
Rena_yes19:18
nrcernayes19:18
jelknermr_german?19:18
zOnnyyes19:18
mr_germanyep, jelkner 19:18
jelknerok, that was all i have for this evening19:18
jelkneri think this needs to be an ongoing topic for our meetings19:19
Rena_I have to head into class now19:19
jelknerlater, Rena_19:19
lelkneralfarookay by Rena_19:19
lelkneralfarotalk to you soon19:19
Rena_I will catch up on anyother logs tonight19:19
jelknerus old folks should be helping you learn what you need to know19:19
ubuntouristjelkner, there needs to be a Jupyter notebook with a financial graph ;-)19:19
jelkneri work closely with z0nny19:19
jelknerbut mr_german, ncerna, and Rena_ i don't have regular contact with19:20
jelkneri assume replaceafill is mentoring mr_german and ncerna19:20
jelknerso let's just keep our eyes on this process19:20
replaceafillat best as i can...19:20
ubuntouristAs jelkner mentioned, a new contract has been sent to Gallaudet.  Ball is in their court on a response to that.19:21
replaceafilljelkner, agenda item about the website?19:22
ubuntouristNot much else to report other than the continued impending Oslo. Maybe more next week after tomorrow's tete-a-tete with lelkneralfaro.19:23
jelknergood point19:23
jelknersuper19:23
jelknerlet's talk about that next week19:23
replaceafillcool19:23
lelkneralfaro+119:23
jelknerok lelkneralfaro, if you want to call it, i think we are done19:24
lelkneralfaroyup I think so too19:24
replaceafilljelkner, nrcerna can we please have 5 minutes after the meeting?19:24
lelkneralfarojelkner: can you give me a phone call after this though?19:24
ubuntouristGive 19:24
nrcernaok replaceafill 19:25
ubuntouristGive 'em an inch and they think they're a ruler. ;-)19:25
lelkneralfarojelkner, or after you are done speaking with replaceafill and nrcerna19:25
mjsir911ACTION drops the ball of gravel19:25
replaceafillball?!? :D19:26
mr_germanlol19:26
zOnny:D19:26
lelkneralfarolol19:26
jelknerok, ncerna, shoot19:26
ubuntouristhe "dropped the ball" on that. ;-)19:26
replaceafill:))19:26
mr_german:D ?19:26
replaceafilljelkner, nrcerna ok, quick19:26
lelkneralfaroalright everyone talk to you soon.19:26
replaceafilljelkner, about nrcerna's last email19:26
ubuntouristACTION exits, stage left. ;-)19:26
jelknerlet me see19:26
replaceafilljelkner, she asked if it's necessary for her to present multiple proposals19:27
replaceafilljelkner, "¿Cuántas propuestas debo presentar?"19:27
jelknerlet's try to minimize the work involved19:27
replaceafilljelkner, cool19:28
nrcernaok19:28
jelknerso just give me one19:28
jelkneri'll look at it first19:28
jelknerif i like it, i'll send it to amity and yvonned for their feedback19:28
nrcernajelkner, I also want to know the size for the flyer19:28
replaceafilljelkner, and last thing19:28
replaceafillnrcerna, jelkner already answered that19:29
jelkneri sent that, 8 1/2 by 1119:29
nrcernaohh sorry19:29
jelknerno problem19:29
jelknerdo you have any questions about what to emphasize?19:30
replaceafilljelkner, i told nrcerna to use only free licensed images for the flyer19:30
jelkneryes, and since ben jealous has a nice picture on wikipedia19:30
jelkner;-)19:30
replaceafillgreat19:30
jelkneri'm looking forward to working with you on this19:30
replaceafillnrcerna, so that's the plan19:30
jelknerncerna19:31
replaceafillnrcerna, any questions?19:31
jelknersince we will both learn a lot from the process19:31
nrcernaJelkner one more question, are you going to print the flyer?19:31
jelkneri don't have any idea creatively how to do this right19:31
jelknerbut i think i'll have some idea what we don't want19:31
*** lelkneralfaro_ has joined #novawebdev19:31
jelknerso just take a stab at it19:31
mr_germanwelcome back lelkneralfaro_ 19:32
jelknerand be ready for me to say, 'more of this, less of that'19:32
jelknerwe want folks to notice two things for sure:19:32
jelkner1. NEA Members for Our Revolution is the sponsor19:32
lelkneralfaro_thanks mr_german19:32
jelkner2. Ben Jealous is the star attraction19:32
jelknerdoes that help?19:33
nrcernayes it does jelkner 19:33
jelknerand of course, we wan them to know where and when ;-)19:33
jelknerhave fun with it, ncerna19:33
jelknerand let me know when you have something for me to look at19:33
nrcernaok jelkner i will19:33
replaceafilljelkner, should the msea be included in the flyer?19:34
jelkneryes, but we will be giving this to msea convention attendees19:34
jelknerso they will know where they are19:34
jelkner1 and 2 are the real messages19:34
replaceafillah ok19:35
replaceafillACTION done19:35
jelknerthe audience is MSEA delegate19:35
jelkners19:35
jelknercool19:35
replaceafillnrcerna, are we done?19:35
nrcernayes replaceafill 19:35
replaceafillthanks jelkner and nrcerna19:35
replaceafillhave a good rest of the week everybody19:35
jelknerbtw, replaceafill, get ready for a surge in members that day!19:35
nrcernathanks for the info replaceafill and jelkner 19:35
jelknergood night, talk to you soon19:36
replaceafilllater!19:36
jelknerACTION signs off19:36
mr_germanreplaceafill, nrcerna are you on google call?19:37
replaceafillmr_german, eh no19:37
nrcernano mr_german 19:37
replaceafillmr_german, do you need me to call you?19:37
mr_germanreplaceafill, yes19:37
mr_germanreplaceafill, I need to ask you something19:38
replaceafillmr_german, ok19:38
replaceafillnrcerna, is there anything you want to discuss via hangout?19:38
nrcernano replaceafill19:38
replaceafillnrcerna, cool19:38
mr_germanreplaceafill, ready19:39
mr_german:D19:39
replaceafillnrcerna, good luck with the flyer!19:39
replaceafillmr_german, i'll call your cell, ok?19:39
mr_germank19:39
replaceafillmr_german, unless you need screen sharing?19:39
nrcernathanks replaceafill 19:39
mr_germannop19:39
replaceafillmr_german, ok, calling19:39
mr_germanreplaceafill, k19:39

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.17.2 by Marius Gedminas - find it at https://mg.pov.lt/irclog2html/!