IRC log of #novawebdev for Sunday, 2018-11-04

*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev07:08
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev09:38
*** mjsir911_ has joined #novawebdev09:43
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev09:56
*** ubuntourist has joined #novawebdev09:58
*** mjsir911_ has joined #novawebdev09:59
mjsir911_!remind10:00
Big_BrotherCheck on status of python3 port of helios (jelkner) 10:00
*** zOnny has joined #novawebdev10:01
*** jelkner has joined #novawebdev10:02
*** replaceafill has joined #novawebdev10:06
*** zOnny has joined #novawebdev10:26
jelkner!remind10:29
Big_BrotherCheck on status of python3 port of helios (jelkner) 10:29
replaceafilljelkner, you forgot a subject in your NEA4OR email to the list10:46
replaceafilljelkner, that's why it's getting moderated10:46
*** mr_german has joined #novawebdev10:55
replaceafillgood morning mjsir911 ubuntourist jelkner mr_german and zOnny11:00
mr_germanhello11:00
jelknerGood morning, replaceafill11:00
mjsir91115 seconds till maybe big brother?11:01
zOnnyHello WOrld11:01
mjsir911!remind11:01
Big_BrotherCheck on status of python3 port of helios (jelkner) 11:01
replaceafill:S11:01
replaceafillis my clock ahead now or is Big_Brother behind :)11:01
mjsir911alright, doesn't look like it will go off automatically, let's see when it will go off11:01
replaceafillmjsir911, ah11:01
replaceafillcool11:01
replaceafillok, let's get started then11:01
replaceafilljelkner is requesting status check of the port of helios to python 311:02
replaceafillthis is what i can share at the moment: https://gitlab.com/novawebdevelopment/helios-server/compare/master...replaceafill%2Fpython311:02
replaceafillall the tests pass now11:02
jelknerand perhaps a broader discussion of moving libre organize to python 311:03
jelknersince zOnny was asking me about that this morning11:03
replaceafilli made some very simple testing and it doesn't die, so i think that's good11:03
replaceafillsure11:03
jelknerexcellent!11:03
replaceafillthe idea is to start using tendenci 1111:03
jelknerwith the great news that mr_german is coming to san salvador11:03
jelkneri'm thinking a realistic goal for "release" of libre organize would be end of august, 201911:04
replaceafilland have mr_german and zOnny do their themeing work with 1111:04
jelknerusing tendenci 11 and python311:04
zOnnyreplaceafill: cool that is what we need 11:04
jelknerthis gives us a "we love you folks" story to tell at pycon, too ;-)11:05
ubuntouristSo, theoretically, no more dependence on Python 2 for anything in Libre Organize. Correct?11:05
jelknersince no one wants to hear about python 2 development any more11:05
replaceafillubuntourist, correct11:05
replaceafilli've added some comments here: https://gitlab.com/novawebdevelopment/novawebdev-ams/issues/5011:06
replaceafillregarding how the PSF and the python community handle their elections at the moment11:06
replaceafillhelios is still in their workflow but proving short11:06
replaceafillso i'll keep an eye on that11:06
jelknerthis is great, replaceafill 11:06
jelknerthanks for all your work on this!!!11:07
replaceafillsince all of the voters there are programmers last time i checked they're even discussing voting through a git repo :S11:07
replaceafillthat won't fly for us of course11:07
replaceafillbut their discussion about alternative voting methods is enlighting11:07
replaceafillso we're ok-ish :)11:07
jelknerreplaceafill, mjsir911 expressed some interest in working on this when he has some time11:07
replaceafilli'll keep cleaning my implementation11:08
ubuntouristreplaceafill, I was suggesting earlier that you change your handle to Daedalus (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daedalus) ;-) -- or maybe a code name for a release...11:08
jelknerperhaps next summer11:08
replaceafillubuntourist, :O11:08
ubuntouristreplaceafill, (given the relation to Helios... ;-) )11:08
replaceafillubuntourist, nice :D11:08
replaceafillok, i think we can move on, right?11:08
jelkneryup11:09
replaceafillcool11:09
jelknerand number 2 is done11:09
mjsir911replaceafill, any thoughts on me working on it?11:09
replaceafillmjsir911, sure, i'm not optimistic it'll be straighforward, but we can discuss it after the meeting11:09
mjsir911alright11:09
replaceafillok, next point11:09
replaceafill"Make final review of Pychon charla (jelkner)"11:09
jelknerwe have done this, yes, replaceafill?11:10
jelkneri'll call hrodriguez to ask her to submit11:10
replaceafillyes, that's reviewed and Heilyn has the go11:10
replaceafilljelkner, cool11:10
replaceafillhope we get it approved11:10
ubuntouristOn a related note, I'll see if I can get some cards designed today and printed soon.11:10
ubuntourist(Business cards for Pycon attendees.)11:10
replaceafilli'd like to make a quick comment on my pycon plan11:11
replaceafillnot sure where we all be at that time, i mean job-wise11:12
replaceafillbut i plan to apply for financial aid11:12
jelknerand you should come regardless, replaceafill 11:12
replaceafillif i get some support for my plane ticket, i'll go11:12
jelknerit would be such a great opportunity for zOnny to sprint with you11:12
replaceafillif not, it'll depend on the job situation11:12
jelknerworth it just for that11:12
replaceafillsure jelkner i understand11:12
ubuntouristreplaceafill, I don't know if Trump will let you in. :-(11:13
jelknerand we already have a room for you11:13
replaceafilli'll apply for financial aid in any case11:13
replaceafilli've been postponing that for years11:13
replaceafillubuntourist, well my visa is still valid until 2020 11:13
replaceafillubuntourist, although that's not  any guarantee at this point :D11:13
replaceafillok11:13
replaceafillmoving on?11:13
jelknerand by then we'll have president bernie11:14
replaceafill:D11:14
replaceafillok, last point11:14
zOnnyI have been focusing my atention on having the "Libre Organize" theme with python 311:14
replaceafillAsk zOnny and mr_german for Libre Organize report (jelkner)11:14
replaceafillzOnny, great, have you done any tendenci 11 theming?11:14
zOnnyreplaceafill: I have been facing some issues with the tendenci11 scripts11:15
jelknerzOnny, you should work on specific issues with mr_german and replaceafill after the meeting11:15
replaceafillzOnny, want to talk about that after the emeeting11:15
jelknerbut for now, we need a "big picture" discussion of our plan11:16
zOnnyreplaceafill: please11:16
jelknerreplaceafill, mr_german, zOnny, i have a question11:16
replaceafillgo ahead jelkner11:16
jelknersince "libre organize" proper is still a ways away11:16
jelkneri'm proposing end of august as a goal11:16
jelknercan zOnny have tendenci 11 cms only ready much sooner than that?11:17
replaceafilljelkner, yes11:17
jelknersince we can sell basic websites with cms11:17
replaceafilljelkner, tendenci 11 cms only should be already there11:17
jelknerand it would be better if zOnny can learn a single platform11:17
replaceafilljelkner, if not, there's only some minor updates needed11:17
jelknerso we should make that an immediate goal11:17
replaceafilljelkner, +111:17
jelknercool11:17
ubuntouristjelkner, Just curious: How did you determine August? Basically a big summer push? Or...?11:17
jelkneryes, ubuntourist 11:18
jelknerwe will have mr_german and zOnny full time for 3 months11:18
jelknerit is a wild guess at this point11:18
replaceafilli'm optimistic that with mr_german traveling each day we'll make quicker progress this month11:18
jelknerbut i thought a good first guess based on last summer's experience11:18
jelknerquicker will be great, replaceafill 11:19
jelknerbut i'm in a conservative mood11:19
replaceafillsure11:19
jelkneri can sustain mr_german full time through next summer11:19
jelkneri asked ubuntourist if he could help out with lelkneralfaro11:19
jelknerand i can save $$ for zOnny to go full time in june11:19
ubuntouristGiven my work with Dragana, I've been largely ignorant of the Libre Organize work.  Is there continued focus on bilingual features? (Is there a need for that?)11:19
replaceafillubuntourist, it's like "we know how to do that already"11:20
replaceafillubuntourist, we just need to add it in a more "pluggable way"11:20
ubuntouristjelkner, Yeah. I can spot lelkneralfaro a few bucks. ;-)11:20
replaceafillubuntourist, oh and helios is not 100% translatable yet11:21
replaceafillor translated at all for that matter, so that's a good reminder11:21
replaceafillACTION writes that down11:21
ubuntouristreplaceafill, that's what I meant. It's a selling point, and doing everything to make that as simple and helpful as possible should be one of those ongoing concerns.11:21
replaceafilli agree11:21
replaceafilland zOnny has some experience with it11:22
zOnnyreplaceafill: yep 11:22
replaceafillwe need to make him an expert now :)11:22
ubuntourist(jelkner has stepped away for a minute.)11:22
zOnnyreplaceafill: I have been waiting for the confirmation to get our site biligual11:22
ubuntourist(...and is returning as I write...)11:22
zOnnyreplaceafill: your documentation was good enough11:22
replaceafillzOnny, what's stopping you from doing it?11:23
zOnnyreplaceafill: you wanted to mr_german tested it first 11:23
replaceafillzOnny, ok, let's discuss it after the meeting to, ok?11:23
replaceafillmr_german, can you stay?11:24
replaceafillmy last point on the big picture point11:24
replaceafillsorry, my last comment...11:24
mr_germanreplaceafill, ok11:24
replaceafilli think we should focus this week on having the simple theme11:24
replaceafillwe've been discussing11:25
replaceafillbranch away from the current tendenci 2018 theme11:25
replaceafillstart our own11:25
jelknerreplaceafill, looks like your heading into the weeds11:25
replaceafilljelkner, ok11:25
jelknercan we decide who is chairing next week?11:25
replaceafilloh sure11:25
replaceafillsorry11:25
jelknerand then end the meeting11:25
replaceafillvolunteers?11:25
jelknermr_german?11:26
jelkneryou missed your turn last time11:26
jelknernow's your chance for redemption ;-)11:26
replaceafilland meetings start one hour later for us now :P11:26
jelknermr_german, can you chair next week?11:26
mr_germanjelkner, i want to know what you mean with "chair"11:27
mr_german?11:27
jelknerit means we all sit on you ;-)11:27
jelknerno, not that11:27
jelknerit means you make the meeting move11:27
jelkneryou call the next agenda item11:28
jelknerkeep things going when they bog down11:28
jelknerwe will help you11:28
jelknerit's easy11:28
jelknerand best of all, you get to drop the bag of gravel ;-)11:28
ubuntouristmr_german, You become like the orchestra conductor and "keep the beat". ;-)11:28
mr_germanjelkner, ubuntourist ohh got it11:29
mr_germanjelkner, yes. i'll be on chair11:29
replaceafillok, mr_german will be chair next week :)11:29
jelknersweet11:29
replaceafillawesome11:29
replaceafillwell, that's it11:29
replaceafillanything else?11:29
replaceafillwe have 30 seconds :D11:30
replaceafillif there's nothing else, let me11:30
ubuntourist10... 9... 8...11:30
replaceafillACTION drops the bag of gravel11:30
jelknerawesome11:30
jelknerwe rock, nova websters!11:30
replaceafillthank you everybody11:30
replaceafillzOnny, ok, can you remind me the i18n situation?11:31
replaceafillzOnny, for our website11:31
zOnnyreplaceafill: ok11:32
replaceafillzOnny, mr_german was supposed to test the i18n procedure/docs, correct?11:32
zOnnyreplaceafill: yes11:32
replaceafillzOnny, do you know if he did at any point?11:33
replaceafillzOnny, i kind of remember he did, but i'm not sure11:33
zOnnymr_german: ?11:33
replaceafillmr_german, did you test our documentation of making tendenci sites translatable?11:33
replaceafillsorry multilingual11:33
replaceafillthey're are somewhat translatable already :)11:34
mr_germanreplaceafill, yes, some time ago11:34
zOnnyreplaceafill: multi ? I though It was bilingual 11:34
replaceafillzOnny, in theory you could have many languages enabled11:34
zOnnyreplaceafill: ah11:34
zOnnymr_german: cool11:34
replaceafillzOnny, ok, if you're willing to do it11:34
zOnnyDid it work for you?11:35
zOnnymr_german: 11:35
replaceafillzOnny, you should set a local replica of the site11:35
replaceafillzOnny, and test it there11:35
mr_germanzOnny, yes11:35
replaceafillzOnny, once you're confident on the process i can give you access to the server so you do it there11:35
zOnnyreplaceafill: first of all I need to change the hard coded into a boxes11:35
zOnnyreplaceafill: cool11:35
zOnnyreplaceafill: I tested it with Abby'scleanning11:36
zOnnyI will test it with our site as well11:36
replaceafillzOnny, great11:36
replaceafillzOnny, mr_german so themeing plans11:37
replaceafillzOnny, mr_german i'll work on having the cms doc updated to tendenci 1111:37
zOnnyreplaceafill: I was requested to update our site with the id's include11:37
replaceafillzOnny, ah yes11:37
mr_germanreplaceafill, we are going to use tendenci 11 ?11:37
replaceafillmr_german, yes11:37
zOnnyreplaceafill: I mean with the novalaciro IDs11:37
mr_germanreplaceafill, oh, cool11:37
replaceafillzOnny, do you need anything from us to do that?11:37
zOnnyreplaceafill: are you in a rush ?11:38
replaceafillzOnny, today, no11:39
replaceafillzOnny, want to discuss it later?11:39
zOnnyreplaceafill: I would like to hangout with both of you 11:39
replaceafillzOnny, ah sure11:39
replaceafillzOnny, now?11:40
zOnnyreplaceafill: once you get chance11:40
replaceafillmr_german, can you hang out?11:40
replaceafillzOnny, now works for me11:40
mr_germanreplaceafill, ok11:40
zOnnyso , let's do it 11:41
replaceafillmr_german, zOnny https://hangouts.google.com/call/g8JwxxtPUgb2JLG-LY-5AEEE11:42
Big_BrotherCheck on status of python3 port of helios (jelkner)12:00
zOnnyreplaceafill: https://paste.pound-python.org/show/kpXzgqeVkOPgOh4hoKnl/12:22
jelknerACTION logs off for lunch12:31
*** GFbot has joined #novawebdev13:30
*** jelkner has joined #novawebdev13:48
jelknerping, replaceafill 13:48
replaceafilljelkner, pong13:48
*** zOnny has joined #novawebdev13:48
jelknerjust got back from lunch13:49
jelknerand there is an email with another nea number13:49
jelknergoing to add it now13:49
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev13:49
replaceafilljelkner, cool13:49
jelknerquestion, replaceafill, how come the new field doesn't show up here: https://www.nea4or.us/admin/memberships/membershipdefault/13:52
replaceafilljelkner, because not all fields appear there13:53
replaceafilljelkner, and we haven't touched that "page" for nea4or13:53
replaceafilljelkner, we customized it for novalaciro13:53
replaceafillzOnny, i'm testing the maketendenci11.sh script to try to reproduce your issue14:00
zOnnyreplaceafill: Did it work ?14:02
replaceafillzOnny, it's still installing OS dependencies14:03
replaceafillzOnny, it's a fresh 18.04 vm14:03
zOnnyreplaceafill: cool14:06
*** ubuntourist has joined #novawebdev14:06
replaceafillzOnny, problem reproduced14:14
replaceafillzOnny, will let you know when i figure it out14:14
zOnnyreplaceafill: thanks14:15
jelknerreplaceafill, we got two already14:16
jelknerbtw. you haven't chatted with mjsir911 about helios yet14:16
replaceafilljelkner, great, were you able to update it?14:16
jelkneri was14:16
replaceafilljelkner, cool14:16
jelknerit isn't easy to find14:16
jelknerboth zOnny and i looked for 5 minutes14:17
jelknerand figured it out14:17
replaceafilljelkner, cool14:17
jelkneri was glad he got to see that14:17
jelknerwe need to make it *much* better!14:17
replaceafilljelkner, he will :)14:17
jelknerso, algorithms are mjsir911's specialty14:17
jelknerhaving him take a look at rank choice voting seems like a good idea14:18
replaceafilljelkner, ah thanks for the reminder14:18
replaceafillmjsir911, have a few minutes to discuss helios14:18
replaceafill?14:18
mjsir911yep14:18
replaceafillmjsir911, so this is the issue: https://gitlab.com/novawebdevelopment/novawebdev-ams/issues/5014:19
replaceafillmjsir911, you should read the issues i listed there in the upstream repo14:19
mjsir911Yeah14:19
replaceafillmjsir911, i'm not sure if they're clear enough as to "why" it's not possible14:19
replaceafillmjsir911, with the current design of helios14:20
mjsir911I'm a bit concerned about how little I'm good w/ security14:20
replaceafillmjsir911, just for the record, all of those methods are greek to me :D14:20
replaceafillmjsir911, my experience with the python3 port shows14:20
mjsir911Like, I can understand cryptographic junk & can grok my head around anonymization, but like I think one of the points was you don't want to individually be able to fingerprint voters with their ranked choice votes14:20
replaceafillmjsir911, that as long as the test pass14:20
replaceafillmjsir911, yeah, that's what i understand too14:21
replaceafillmjsir911, but also in the gitlab issue14:21
replaceafillmjsir911, i mentioned a helios fork 14:21
replaceafillmjsir911, called zeus14:21
mjsir911benadida?14:21
mjsir911ah14:21
replaceafillmjsir911, it seems that supports an alternative method14:21
replaceafillmjsir911, so it's worth checking how14:22
mjsir911single trasnferrable vote.... not sure what that means but I'll look into it14:22
replaceafillmjsir911, and in my last comment of the issue14:22
replaceafillmjsir911, i listed a few conversations currently going on in the core developers community14:22
replaceafillmjsir911, it all came from the python committers mailing list14:23
replaceafillmjsir911, i follow one of the core developers in twitter and the voting part got my attention14:23
replaceafillmjsir911, so there's a lot of discussion at the moment about how they'll run an election in november14:23
replaceafillmjsir911, they're rushing because they want to do it before pycon14:23
replaceafillmjsir911, and are discussing what method they want to use14:24
replaceafillmjsir911, and how that'll shape the future elections for the community14:24
mjsir911I see14:24
replaceafillmjsir911, like the PFS board, etc14:24
replaceafillmjsir911, so that's something we should be listening too14:24
replaceafillmjsir911, as i said in the meeting today14:24
replaceafillmjsir911, since all of them are technical and programmers14:24
replaceafillmjsir911, someone was proposing because of the urgency to even do it through git14:25
replaceafillmjsir911, and run a script on the repo with the votes14:25
replaceafillmjsir911, that's not useful to us ofc14:25
replaceafillmjsir911, but at some point they'll need software14:25
replaceafillmjsir911, and we should at least be aware of what people with that capability think of helios14:26
replaceafillmjsir911, so i guess reading those and learning is what you could do at the moment14:26
mjsir911Alrighty, thanks, I don't think I'll be able to focus on this for like a week but after that I'll take a look at what I can hack together14:29
replaceafillmjsir911, great, thanks14:29
replaceafillmjsir911, if you find links/doc you think it's worth saving for this topic please add them to the issue14:31
mjsir911Yeah, will do, is there an issue inthe helios gitlab for this?14:31
replaceafillmjsir911, we're tracking it in the novawebdev-ams repository at the moment: https://gitlab.com/novawebdevelopment/novawebdev-ams/issues/5014:32
replaceafillzOnny, found the problem14:45
replaceafillzOnny, https://github.com/tendenci/tendenci/commit/6828b29447029178d23b527bac021d7aa413892a14:46
replaceafillzOnny, that commit added a new attibute to user_groups14:46
zOnnyreplaceafill: ah14:47
replaceafillzOnny, but you can see files migrations depend on user groups14:47
replaceafillhttps://github.com/tendenci/tendenci/blob/master/tendenci/apps/files/migrations/0001_initial.py14:47
replaceafillzOnny, https://github.com/tendenci/tendenci/blob/master/tendenci/apps/files/migrations/0001_initial.py#L1514:47
replaceafillzOnny, so that last line is outdated14:48
replaceafillzOnny, and it should point to '0002_group_show_for_memberships' and not '0001_initial'14:48
zOnnyreplaceafill: ah14:49
replaceafillzOnny, i'm going to report it later today or tomorrow14:49
replaceafillzOnny, and see if i can create a pr for it14:49
zOnnyreplaceafill: I wondered nobody complained in the tendenci's issues 14:49
replaceafillzOnny, yeah14:49
replaceafillzOnny, not many developers around tendenci unfortunately14:50
replaceafillzOnny, so it may not have been noticed yet14:50
replaceafillzOnny, it's just 23 days ago14:50
zOnnyreplaceafill: ah14:50
zOnnyreplaceafill: good catch14:50
replaceafillzOnny, and 11.0.5 just came out 10 days ago14:51
replaceafillzOnny, https://github.com/tendenci/tendenci/commit/e1f7f0c182eb10dfc4fa761eb7b4e2a71fa9e40d14:51
replaceafillzOnny, so it's been around for 10 days14:51
replaceafillzOnny, good catch of yours ;)14:51
replaceafillzOnny, it'll help mr_german to set up his environment this week14:51
replaceafillzOnny, i guess you have other tendenci7 tasks, right?14:52
replaceafillzOnny, but if you really really really want to make it work14:52
zOnnyreplaceafill: I would like to debug the same you do man14:52
replaceafillzOnny, just replace that line '0001_initial' as i said and run initial_migrate again14:52
replaceafillzOnny, it worked for me14:52
zOnnyreplaceafill: cool14:53
replaceafillzOnny, be careful with your wishes...14:53
zOnnyreplaceafill: ?14:53
replaceafillzOnny, one day they may come true ;)14:53
zOnnyreplaceafill: hopefully 14:53
replaceafillok, lunch time for me14:54
replaceafillACTION goes to get lunch, bb in ~1h14:54
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev15:08
*** aantonio has joined #novawebdev15:59
mjsir911hey aantonio16:03
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev16:29
*** ubuntourist has joined #novawebdev17:06
jelknerACTION signs off for the day17:25
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev18:25
*** zOnny has joined #novawebdev18:32
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev19:51

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.17.2 by Marius Gedminas - find it at https://mg.pov.lt/irclog2html/!