IRC log of #novawebdev for Sunday, 2019-04-28

*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev09:24
*** jelkner has joined #novawebdev09:36
*** Doisaac has joined #novawebdev10:13
jelknerGood morning, Doisaac!10:20
DoisaacGood Morning, Jeff10:20
jelknerReady to start?10:20
Doisaacyes sure10:20
jelknerWe can spend 15 minutes checking-in10:21
Doisaacsound good10:21
jelknerlet me connect to the student server10:21
jelknerso i can see what you have10:21
Doisaac0k10:21
jelknerok, cool10:23
jelknerso you basically completed the lists chapter10:23
DoisaacGreat10:23
jelknernow, i'm going to rearrange things a bit on your site10:23
jelknerhold on10:24
Doisaacok10:24
jelknertake a look at http://students.gctaa.net/~dbarrera/10:25
jelknerand look inside your public_html10:26
jelknerand tell me what i did10:26
Doisaacnew 10:26
Doisaacpage10:26
Doisaacand a link for 10:26
Doisaacdbarrera/gdw.html10:26
jelknernot quite10:27
Doisaacusing a list10:27
jelknerthere is no gdw.html anymore10:27
Doisaacoh only gdw10:27
jelknerit is now index.html10:27
jelkner*inside* a gdw subdirectory10:28
jelknerand all the lessons have been moved there10:28
jelkneras your website grows10:28
jelkneryou will be creating directories for projects10:28
Doisaacoh mkdir?10:28
jelknereach one will have its own "home page", named index.html10:28
jelkner+110:29
jelknerthat's why i said these unix skills are "survival skills"10:29
jelkneryou will need them10:29
jelknerwe can practice a lot when i'm in Santa Ana for 8 weeks10:29
DoisaacWow, Great10:29
Doisaacso 10:30
jelknernext lesson is images10:30
Doisaacall i created i will save it in DIRECTORIES10:30
jelkneran important new skill here is using scp to copy files to the server10:30
jelkneri wonder if you can get together with German so he can show you10:31
jelkner?10:31
jelknerit would be a bit more difficult to explain remotely10:31
jelknerpossible, but more difficult.10:31
jelkneri'll ask him after our meeting this morning10:31
jelkneri'm away at Pycon next week10:32
Doisaacah Ok for me it's ok10:32
jelknerso we need to plan a next meeting time.10:32
jelknerI get back on May 8.10:32
jelknerwhen do you want to meet after that?10:32
DoisaacThursday at morning 10:33
Doisaacor Friday10:33
jelknermay 910:33
Doisaaci have free time at mornings10:33
Doisaacthese days10:33
Doisaacso May 910:33
jelkneri'll put Thursday, May 9 at 10 am on my calendar10:33
jelknergreat10:33
DoisaacThanks10:34
jelknersee what you can do with the images lesson10:34
jelknerwe can talk about it on may 910:34
Doisaacso my task is : ddo exersices of Images Lesson right?10:34
jelkner+110:35
jelknerokie dokie10:35
Doisaacand put it inside?10:35
jelknerthat's all for today10:35
jelkneryou will see10:35
jelknerthere are two exercises10:35
DoisaacThank you for all 10:36
jelknerone has you use images "out there" on the web10:36
jelknerthe second one is images you took yourself10:36
jelkneri would like you to put those on the server10:36
jelknerthank you, Doisaac, this is fun!10:37
jelknerok, talk to you on may 910:37
Doisaaco/ Thanks bye!10:37
jelknerhasta mayo10:37
Doisaacsee you10:38
jelkner!remind10:54
*** replaceafill has joined #novawebdev10:57
jelknerGood morning, replaceafill!10:57
*** zOnny has joined #novawebdev10:58
jelknerGood morning, zOnny!10:58
replaceafillgood morning jelkner 10:58
zOnnyGood morning jelkner 10:58
jelknerreplaceafill, i'm really hoping Natalia and German make this meeting10:59
*** DG123 has joined #novawebdev10:59
jelknercool, there is one of them10:59
replaceafillthat's Diego jelkner...10:59
jelkneroops10:59
jelknerright10:59
DG123good morning10:59
jelkneri guess i'm going to chair11:00
jelknersince i don't think we appointed one11:00
jelknerreplaceafill, could you call Natalia and German?11:00
jelknerwe can't do summer planning without them11:00
jelknerand they aren't here11:01
replaceafilljelkner, German was supposed tobe chair today11:01
jelknerahh11:01
jelknerwell he can't do that if he's not here either :-(11:01
*** GFbot has joined #novawebdev11:01
jelknerGood morning, GFbot 11:01
replaceafillcalling nrcerna11:02
jelknerthanks!11:02
jelknerDG123, while we are waiting11:02
jelknerdid you get my emails regarding dc tax payment?11:03
GFbothello11:03
replaceafilljelkner, no answer, sent her a message11:03
jelknerokie dokie11:03
jelknerDG123, did you?11:03
DG123jelkner, yes, I have made a note that the money was for DC taxes11:03
*** nrcerna has joined #novawebdev11:04
jelknerDG123, do you agree that our May 12 work session should focus on finances?11:04
jelknerand will you be available at Gallaudet that day?11:04
DG123jelkner, very much11:05
DG123and I will11:05
jelknercool, so let's do that11:05
jelknerok, nrcerna is here, let's roll11:05
jelknerGFbot, you're chairing11:05
nrcernaGood Morning! 11:05
jelknerGood morning!11:05
GFbotgood morning everybody!11:06
GFbotjelkner: do we have a item list for today?11:06
jelknerWe do, you missed it11:06
jelknerso go to the website and look11:06
GFbotoh i was a minutes late, im sorry.11:07
replaceafilllogs don't print the remind output anymore11:07
replaceafill-Big_Brother/#novawebdev- DG123 : zOnny : replaceafill : Doisaac : +jelkner : @mjsir911 : wolcen : @ChanServ11:07
replaceafill-Big_Brother/#novawebdev- Update on plans for Summer sprint (jelkner)11:07
replaceafill-Big_Brother/#novawebdev- No meeting en el cinco de mayo (jelkner)11:07
replaceafill-Big_Brother/#novawebdev- Team Guanaco tasks and budgeting (jelkner)11:07
replaceafill<jelkner> i guess i'm going to chair11:07
replaceafillsorry for the flood11:07
jelknernp11:07
GFbotthanks!11:07
jelknerthat's a big help11:07
GFbotwell, Lets start with Item #111:08
GFbot"Update on plans for Summer sprint"11:08
jelknerYes, i added this, but it is really nrcerna who is in charge of it.11:08
GFbotnrcerna: go ahead :D11:08
mjsir911oh, replaceafill, thanks for letting me know about the logs, will investigate11:09
jelkner+111:09
replaceafillmjsir911, thanks11:09
GFbotmaybe she's not here right now11:09
nrcernaYes, I sent an email to jelkner updating about this, I spoke my grandma 11:09
jelknerso please share what you told me11:10
jelknersince i'm not sure i understand11:10
nrcernaOK In Spanish 11:10
jelknerdo we have a place to work and for me to sleep?11:10
nrcernaYes 11:10
jelknerdoes that place have Internet?11:11
jelkneror can we get it there before July 9?11:11
nrcernaLe comenté sobre la bebida de Jeff, me dijo que si podíamos usar la casa, solamente vamos a hablar más detalles después 11:11
nrcerna(sobre el gasto de energía eléctrica y eso) 11:11
jelkneri can't imagine the electric bill will be too large11:12
jelknerso we can easily cover that, yes?11:12
jelknerInternet bill too11:12
jelknerwe *need* Internet11:12
jelknerwithout reliable Internet, the whole thing doesn't work11:12
nrcernaLa vez pasada, cuando hablamos sobre esto, mi tío me preguntó si había Internet, le dije que no pero nosotros estamos en proceso de contratarlo 11:12
nrcernaY lo haremos 11:12
nrcernaYa lo hablamos con mi mamá, (quien quedaría encargada de la casa) 11:13
jelknerso, nrcerna, on may 12 DG123 has agrees we are going to focus on budgeting and finance workflow11:14
jelknerwe need to have an estimate of what this is all going to cost11:14
jelknerso we can plan for it11:14
jelknerthat's why i'm pushing so hard now11:14
jelknerwe don't want to wait until the last minute11:14
jelknerbut to summarize11:14
jelkneryou are telling me that i should thank mauricio but tell him i have a place to stay11:15
nrcernaOk, I can create an spreadsheet and send it to DG123 11:15
jelkner+111:15
GFbotjelkner: can i say something?11:15
jelknerPlease11:15
jelkneryou're the chair, anyway ;-)11:15
GFbotfor some reason we don't get the place for you, I was talking with my mom and replaceafill about that11:16
GFbotthat you could stay with me11:16
GFbotat home11:16
jelknerGFbot, i will be most happy to stay wherever you and nrcerna tell me11:16
jelknerProvided:11:17
jelkner1. We have Internet11:17
nrcernaNice German 11:17
jelkner2. GFbot, nrcerna, jelkner, and young Douglas can all meet there to work.11:17
GFbotWe have nrcerna 5 mins walking11:17
GFbot:)11:17
nrcernaJajajaja11:17
jelknerThat sounds like a plan11:17
jelknersince you already have Internet there, obviously11:17
nrcernaYes and young Douglas near too. 11:18
nrcernaYes 11:18
GFbotright11:18
jelknerperfect11:18
jelknerGFbot, please thank your mother for us!11:18
jelknerok, we need to move this meeting along11:18
GFbotjelkner: I can talk with her today about this 11:18
mjsir911I've got to go. jelkner: I'll be available at around 6pm today, sorry about the bad estimation earlier11:18
jelkneronly 11 minutes left11:18
GFbotcool11:19
jelknernp mjsir911 11:19
jelkner6 pm it is11:19
jelkneri may not need help, mjsir911 11:19
GFbotLets move to item #2.11:19
GFbot"No meeting en el cinco de mayo"11:19
jelkneran easy one11:19
jelknerput it on your calendar11:20
jelknerno meeting next sunday11:20
GFbotgot it11:20
jelknerand the finance thing has already been covered11:20
GFbotyep.11:20
jelknerso let's get a final update on where i stay on may 1211:20
jelkneri have one more item to add11:20
jelknerThis is replaceafill's last meeting11:21
GFbotgo ahead jelkner 11:21
GFbot:(11:21
jelkneri want to give him a huge thanks for all he has done for our coop11:21
jelknerThanks, replaceafill!11:22
zOnnyreplaceafill: thanks!11:22
replaceafillyou're welcome11:22
GFbotreplaceafill: thanks you for supporting me in everything!11:22
replaceafilland thank you too for all your support11:22
GFbotwell, the last item.11:23
GFbot"Team Guanaco tasks and budgeting"11:23
jelknerGFbot, the transfer worked, yes?11:23
GFbotjelkner: yep11:23
GFbotit works!11:23
jelknerso you and nrcerna should have a spreadsheet you share with DG123 11:24
replaceafillplease GFbot and nrcerna stay on top of finances11:24
jelknerreplaceafill, did you transfer remaining funds to them?11:24
replaceafillyes11:24
jelknerSo put the total available funds in that spreadsheet11:24
jelknerand we will talk about it on may 1211:25
jelknerthat day will be dedicated to finances11:25
replaceafillwho are you asking that jelkner ?11:25
GFbotjelkner: cool11:25
replaceafillok, nm11:25
replaceafillGFbot, is on it :)11:25
jelknerlol11:25
jelkneryou're off the hook now, replaceafill 11:25
replaceafillawesome!11:26
nrcernaJaja11:26
jelkneri'm talking to GFbot and nrcerna 11:26
nrcernaNice 11:26
replaceafillACTION leaves the room...11:26
jelknerokie dokie, replaceafill, you have to promise to visit us every once in awhile11:26
replaceafilli will11:26
replaceafillpromise11:26
zOnnyreplaceafill: great!11:26
jelknerbut we'll understand if that doesn't happen for awhile, so we get used to surviving without you11:26
jelknersweet11:27
GFbotgreat11:27
jelknerthanks, everyone11:27
jelknerGFbot, i'll chair on 5/1211:27
DG123thank you, replaceafill11:27
GFbotI think thats all11:27
GFbotjelkner: ok11:27
jelknersince i want to drive this finance discussion11:27
GFbotCool11:27
GFbotanything else to add?11:28
jelknerwish us well at Pycon11:28
replaceafillenjoy the conference/experience guys11:28
GFbotI think we are done.11:28
zOnnyjelkner: have great days at Pycon! :D11:28
GFbotACTION drops the bag of gravel11:28
jelknerbye everyone11:29
replaceafillthank you everybody11:29
replaceafillsee you soon11:29
jelknerthank *you*, replaceafill!11:29
GFbotjelkner: before you go, do you  have a mins?11:29
jelknersure, GFbot 11:29
replaceafillzOnny, anything you need to discuss?11:29
zOnnyreplaceafill: yes , please11:29
GFbotjelkner: did zOnny talk about aea last changes11:29
GFbot?11:29
zOnnyreplaceafill: I got your email, thanks11:29
replaceafillzOnny, np11:29
jelknerno, GFbot 11:29
replaceafillzOnny, did you understand the problem?11:30
jelknerbut i saw the emails11:30
zOnnyreplaceafill: yes11:30
GFbotjelkner: oh, well aea is ready for the election tomorrow.11:30
jelknerwonderful!11:30
replaceafillzOnny, cool11:30
zOnnyreplaceafill: the molecule version, yes?11:30
GFbotis updated with the last requests11:30
replaceafillzOnny, correct11:30
jelknerwe were planning on talking about that this afternooon, GFbot 11:30
replaceafillzOnny, but that's just for CI/testing, it's not fundamental for the playbook operation11:30
zOnnyreplaceafill: my ansible_role_tendenci still fails11:31
replaceafillzOnny, explain "fails"?11:31
GFbotjelkner: ok, i'll be around here!11:31
jelknerGFbot, the election starts next Monday11:31
jelkner5/611:31
jelknerso we have a week to get it together11:31
zOnnyreplaceafill: cloning the theme repository11:31
GFbotjelkner: right.11:31
GFbotso let's talk about that today11:32
replaceafillzOnny, do you have a traceback to share?11:32
zOnnyreplaceafill: https://imgur.com/a/sglp8P411:32
GFboti'll be around11:32
replaceafillzOnny, kk, looking11:32
jelknercool11:32
replaceafillzOnny, can you point me to the theme branch?11:33
zOnnyreplaceafill: yes11:33
replaceafillzOnny, nm, found it11:33
replaceafillzOnny, is the repo private?11:34
zOnnyreplaceafill: hold on11:34
zOnnyreplaceafill: yes11:34
zOnnyreplaceafill: that is why ?11:34
replaceafillzOnny, yes, i think so (based on the traceback)11:35
replaceafillzOnny, have you used that theme functionality before?11:35
replaceafillzOnny, i mean for other customer sites?11:35
zOnnyreplaceafill: no11:36
replaceafillzOnny, ok, is there a reason for the repo to be private?11:36
zOnnyreplaceafill: Well, you usually keep the repos private 11:36
replaceafillzOnny, point me to a private one we have :P11:37
replaceafillzOnny, i guess that's not the rule since a long time ago11:37
replaceafillzOnny, unless i'm forgetting something11:37
replaceafillzOnny, we made most (if not all) repos public when we were discussing liberapay and getting contributions11:38
zOnnyreplaceafill: Sorry I am getting blind11:38
replaceafillzOnny, go to the doctor :D11:38
replaceafillzOnny, anyway...11:38
zOnnyreplaceafill: it is too expensive here11:38
replaceafillzOnny, you have two options11:38
replaceafillzOnny, true!11:38
replaceafillzOnny, you can either learn how to forward your ssh/git credentials and change the url from http://gitlab to git:// form11:39
replaceafillzOnny, i mean the branch url11:39
replaceafillzOnny, or you can just make the repo public11:39
replaceafillzOnny, in which case the http://gitlab form *should* work11:39
replaceafillzOnny, read this https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ssh/#testing-that-everything-is-set-up-correctly11:40
replaceafillzOnny, i always do that when i want to know if the server i'm setting up has ssh forwarding correctly11:41
replaceafillzOnny, and i remember we have something about it in the help-files11:41
zOnnyreplaceafill: yes11:41
replaceafillzOnny, i recommend you just make the repo public and be done with it11:42
replaceafillzOnny, the more you can point people to public stuff the better for the coop11:42
zOnnyreplaceafill: yes11:42
replaceafillzOnny, one is usually afraid of "what they'll think"11:42
replaceafillzOnny, or "my code is crappy"11:42
zOnnyreplaceafill: it seems good to me11:43
replaceafillzOnny, but the opposite is better "open everything up so others can tell you what to improve"11:43
zOnnyreplaceafill: good point11:44
zOnnyreplaceafill: I will11:44
replaceafillzOnny, so try that and run the playbook again11:44
zOnnyreplaceafill: I am on it.11:44
zOnnyI want to make sure this works11:45
replaceafillzOnny, last option would be to just set the theme manually11:45
replaceafillzOnny, i mean if you're in a hurry11:45
replaceafillzOnny, cool11:45
replaceafillzOnny, good luck11:45
replaceafillzOnny, anything else?11:45
zOnnyreplaceafill: that's all11:46
replaceafillzOnny, i asked you last week but you didn't answer: did you buy that template?11:46
replaceafillzOnny, the academia one?11:46
replaceafillzOnny, that you're using as base11:46
zOnnyreplaceafill: no11:46
replaceafillzOnny, be careful11:46
replaceafillzOnny, you should talk to jelkner about that11:47
replaceafillzOnny, afaik those things are not open11:47
replaceafillzOnny, right?11:47
zOnnyreplaceafill: what do you mean ?11:47
replaceafillzOnny, you're using a bootstrap theme somebody else designed, right?11:47
replaceafillzOnny, if that somebody else didn't licensed the theme as open/free11:48
replaceafillzOnny, you can get in trouble for using it without their permission11:48
zOnnyreplaceafill: just a section11:48
replaceafillzOnny, even just an image :)11:48
replaceafillzOnny, or a font11:48
zOnnyreplaceafill: everything will be replaced11:48
replaceafillzOnny, sure, but you're using it for now for work11:48
zOnnyreplaceafill: It was just an idea11:48
replaceafillzOnny, yes11:48
replaceafillzOnny, but it still applies11:48
zOnnyreplaceafill: the client has ideas in mind11:48
replaceafillzOnny, you're missing my point11:49
zOnnyreplaceafill: ok11:49
replaceafillzOnny, just be careful ok?11:49
replaceafillzOnny, pay attention to design licenses11:49
zOnnyreplaceafill: ah ok11:49
replaceafillzOnny, ok, i'm off11:50
zOnnyreplaceafill: I will check that11:50
replaceafillzOnny, good luck!11:50
zOnnyreplaceafill: are you in a hurry ?11:50
replaceafillzOnny, what do you need?11:50
zOnnyreplaceafill: I am running it again :D11:51
zOnnyreplaceafill: Do you know heroku ?11:51
replaceafillzOnny, ah11:51
replaceafillzOnny, yes11:51
zOnnyreplaceafill: do they charge ?11:51
replaceafillzOnny, you're using it for this?11:51
zOnnyreplaceafill: so far I got free11:52
replaceafillzOnny, it depends11:52
replaceafillzOnny, you can get far with their free plan11:52
replaceafillzOnny, if you understand the limitations11:52
replaceafillzOnny, and design around them11:52
replaceafillzOnny, are you planning on running tendenci there?11:52
zOnnyreplaceafill: yes11:52
zOnnyreplaceafill: maybe11:52
replaceafillzOnny, cool11:52
replaceafillzOnny, why do you prefer it to linode?11:53
replaceafillzOnny, i mean, instead of*11:53
zOnnyreplaceafill: because it's free :D11:53
replaceafillzOnny, but your customer pays for linode, right?11:53
replaceafillzOnny, why do you care?11:53
zOnnyreplaceafill: ah good point11:54
zOnnyreplaceafill: I got big fail :(11:54
replaceafillzOnny, in the same task?11:54
zOnnyreplaceafill: yes11:54
replaceafillzOnny, share your config file in private11:55
replaceafilldon't paste it here11:55
zOnnyI cannot even see the beginnig of what failed11:55
zOnnyreplaceafill: in private ?11:55
zOnnyreplaceafill: what do you use for private ? 11:56
replaceafillemail or private messages in IRC11:56
zOnnyreplaceafill: ah11:57
zOnnyreplaceafill: sent11:58
replaceafillzOnny, did you start the server from scratch12:00
replaceafillzOnny, this error is not in the theme task12:00
replaceafillzOnny, iirc this is caused by the playbook being run a second time with an existing database12:00
zOnnyreplaceafill: Do I need a new server ?12:01
replaceafillzOnny, see, passwords are generated each time you run the playbook12:01
zOnnyreplaceafill: np12:01
replaceafillzOnny, if you run it the first time, everything goes well because the database is created at that point12:01
zOnnyreplaceafill: right12:01
replaceafillzOnny, the second time however the database has already been created with the password from run #112:01
zOnnyreplaceafill: I remember it12:01
replaceafillzOnny, but on run #2 a different password is created12:02
replaceafillzOnny, and tried12:02
replaceafillzOnny, causing this problem12:02
zOnnyreplaceafill: ah12:02
replaceafillzOnny, in theory the playbook allow you to set the passwords12:02
zOnnySo, killing the server.12:02
replaceafillzOnny, but i abstracted all of that to make things easier for you...12:02
replaceafillzOnny, yes, that's the quickest rout12:02
replaceafille12:02
zOnnyreplaceafill: I was trying to undersdand it12:02
replaceafillzOnny, if you're getting familiar with ansible you could start stretching the roles configuration a little more12:03
replaceafillzOnny, they're are flexible enough12:03
replaceafillhttps://gitlab.com/novawebdevelopment/ansible_role_postgres12:03
replaceafillzOnny, if you can get to that ^ configuration you can pass the password12:04
zOnnyreplaceafill: I am still a beginner, thanks for the reference12:04
replaceafill:)12:04
replaceafillzOnny, https://gitlab.com/novawebdevelopment/ansible_role_tendenci#role-variables12:04
replaceafillzOnny, so if you hardcode those settings in your vars.yml you could get ability to run the playbook on the same database over and over12:05
zOnnyreplaceafill: I think I can go doing it again.12:05
replaceafillzOnny, kk12:06
zOnnyreplaceafill: nice12:06
zOnnyreplaceafill: thanks a lot.12:07
zOnnyreplaceafill: I will finish this today.12:07
zOnnyreplaceafill: I will send you an email if there is something that I don't understand12:08
replaceafillzOnny, cool12:08
replaceafillzOnny, good luck12:08
replaceafilllater everybody o/12:08
zOnnyreplaceafill: see u12:08
*** replaceafill has joined #novawebdev14:37
*** GFbot has joined #novawebdev15:15
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev18:50

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.17.2 by Marius Gedminas - find it at https://mg.pov.lt/irclog2html/!