IRC log of #novawebdev for Sunday, 2018-04-08

*** zOnny has joined #novawebdev10:28
*** hrodriguez has joined #novawebdev10:37
*** jelkner has joined #novawebdev10:38
*** replaceafill has joined #novawebdev10:50
*** ubuntourist has joined #novawebdev10:55
*** jelkner has joined #novawebdev10:55
jelkner!remind10:58
jelkner!remind Discuss support for NOVALACIRO membership and annual fee10:59
Big_Brother"Discuss support for NOVALACIRO membership and annual fee" added to message queue10:59
*** lelkneralfaro has joined #novawebdev10:59
jelkner!remind Discuss NOVALACIRO id changes and process11:00
Big_Brother"Discuss NOVALACIRO id changes and process" added to message queue11:00
jelkner!remind11:00
Big_BrotherDiscuss support for NOVALACIRO membership and annual fee 11:00
jelknerping replaceafill11:00
replaceafillpong jelkner11:00
jelknergood morning, mr. cerna!11:00
jelkneri just added two items to the agenda11:00
replaceafilljelkner, good morning!11:00
jelknershould i add nea4or deployment, or is that finished?11:01
replaceafilljelkner, that's finished11:01
jelknersweeeeeeet!11:01
jelkneri won't add it then ;-)11:01
replaceafill:)11:01
lelkneralfaro!remind Lee Carter's site redevelopment cost estimate11:02
Big_BrotherInvalid arguments: No closing quotation.11:02
lelkneralfaro!remind Lee Carters site redevelopment cost estimate11:02
Big_Brother"Lee Carters site redevelopment cost estimate" added to message queue11:02
*** replaceafill_ has joined #novawebdev11:07
*** replaceafill has joined #novawebdev11:11
*** mr_german has joined #novawebdev11:12
jelknergood morning mr_german!11:12
mr_germanGood morning jelkner11:13
mr_germanDid you my work with ora?11:20
mr_germanDid you see *11:20
zOnnyhey replaceafill 11:23
replaceafillhey zOnny11:23
zOnnyreplaceafill: does git pull will sync my zOnny/tendenci/CMS right ?11:25
*** nrcerna has joined #novawebdev11:25
replaceafillzOnny, i think you can get rid of it by now11:25
replaceafillzOnny, and just use the *_prod branches for future work11:25
zOnnyreplaceafill: ok11:25
replaceafillzOnny, or *_dev branches, depending on your deployment goal11:26
replaceafillzOnny, like if you want to try something out and show it11:26
replaceafillzOnny, makes sense?11:26
jelknergood morning nrcerna!11:28
nrcernaGood morning! jelkner 11:28
nrcernaGood morning evereryone!11:29
Big_BrotherDiscuss support for NOVALACIRO membership and annual fee11:30
replaceafillgood morning everybody11:30
lelkneralfaroGood morning everyone!11:30
lelkneralfarowe have a new person joining us today11:30
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev11:30
lelkneralfaroso jelkner can introduce her11:30
jelknerlet's give a warm welcome to hrodriguez (Heylin Rodriguez)11:30
jelknerhrodriguez will be interning with us 20 hour per week between now and next august11:31
jelkner(and perhaps beyond)11:31
jelknerhrodriguez, do you want to say anything?11:31
lelkneralfarohrodriguez is having some technical problems11:33
lelkneralfarobut she'll be around and we'll get to know her later11:33
lelkneralfaroso we can jump into the first agenda item11:33
*** hrodriguez has joined #novawebdev11:33
lelkneralfarowhich is support for NOVALACIRO membership and annual fee 11:34
lelkneralfarowhich looks like a jelkner item11:34
jelknerin brief, the board voted the following policy yesterday11:34
jelkner1. general membership fee $2011:34
jelkner2. students $1011:34
jelkner3. Unemployed can contribute whatever they can afford11:34
jelknerzOnny, already told me he thinks tendenci supports this11:35
jelknerso we should implement it this week11:35
replaceafilljelkner, it does11:35
jelknersweeeet!11:35
hrodriguezHello everyone!  thakns foe welcoming me. I'm so excited to be part of this.11:35
replaceafillzOnny, can you take that?11:35
lelkneralfarowelcome hrodriguez :)11:35
zOnnyI have to play around replaceafill 11:36
replaceafillzOnny, but will you take it?11:36
jelknernrcerna, mr_german you are the two who haven't met her yet11:36
replaceafillzOnny, it's just an additional membership type11:36
jelknerso say hi when you have a chance11:36
zOnnysure , replaceafill 11:36
replaceafillzOnny, and modify the current application to use multiple types11:36
lelkneralfaroso next item is NOVALACIRO id changes11:36
replaceafillzOnny, cool, thanks11:36
jelknernrcerna, this is for you11:37
jelkneri have a list11:37
jelknernrcerna, how do you want me to communicate them?:11:37
jelkneralso, daniela would like to email you11:37
jelknerbasically:11:37
jelkner1. remove the member phone number11:37
jelkner2. put "Northern Virginia Civil Rights Organization" on top11:38
jelkner3, put NOVALACIRO phone number on buttom11:38
jelkner4. design a back side11:38
jelknerthat's it11:38
jelknerwith details to follow11:38
jelknerwe need that this week if possible11:38
replaceafilljelkner, should 2 include Latino?11:38
ubuntouristMayhaps a QR code on the back...11:39
jelknerthe machine to print them arrives monday11:39
replaceafilljelkner, "Northern Virginia Latino Civil Rights Organization"11:39
nrcernaFirst of all, Welcome hrodriguez  :-) 11:39
jelkner+1 replaceafill 11:39
hrodriguezTahnk you so much nrcerna :-)11:39
replaceafillnrcerna, make sure you use the correct name for the organization11:40
replaceafillnrcerna, you can use the novalaciro.org website11:40
replaceafillnrcerna, to get it11:40
jelkneryes, nrcerna, the one replaceafill gave you, not me :-(11:40
replaceafilljelkner, any idea what you want in the back side?11:40
jelkneryes11:40
ubuntourist(There's a Debian / Ubuntu package "qrencode" that can generate QR codes. However I suggest running them through a process that turns the resulting PNG into an SVG for better scaling. I have the how-to in my tips file which I'll link to at the end of the meeting.)11:40
jelkner1. our logo on the bottom center11:40
*** hrodriguez has joined #novawebdev11:40
nrcernaOk, Jeff, I'm going to fix that, great replaceafill 11:41
jelknerubuntourist, is suggesting a QR code11:41
jelknerand the logos of the sponsors11:41
jelknerdaniela will be visiting locol businesses to get them to sponsor us11:41
nrcernaIt would help me a lot if you have any idea about the back side jelkner 11:41
replaceafilli don't understand QR codes well, but they're just url/links, right?11:41
jelknerthe card will earn 10% discount11:41
jelknerok, let's move on11:41
nrcernaNice.11:42
jelknerthis can be worked out later among the folks working on it11:42
jelknerACTION done with this item11:42
replaceafilljelkner, can we start implementing this in tendenci with just the front of the card?11:42
jelkner+111:42
replaceafilljelkner, cool11:42
lelkneralfarogreat. next item is Lee Carter's site redevelopment cost estimate11:42
ubuntouristreplaceafill, QR codes contain whatever text you want to contain -- but less text means a better "code resolution".11:42
replaceafillubuntourist, ah11:43
lelkneralfaroreplaceafill, because jelkner will be funding Lee's new site11:43
mjsir911you can also embed some fancier things that plaintext, see: https://zxing.appspot.com/generator/11:43
lelkneralfaroreplaceafill, he'd like an estimate of the cost. 11:43
replaceafillmjsir911, ah thanks11:43
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, ok, i'll check the docs Stephanie sent and will come up with one11:44
jelknerreplaceafill, can you give me a *rough* idea?11:44
jelknerorder of magnitude perhaps? ;-)11:44
replaceafilljelkner, 2 days?11:44
jelkneras i told lelkneralfaro i'm sending you $, not days11:45
replaceafilljelkner, i think it's just a matter of checking what they'll be able to do themselves11:45
jelknerso i need it in $ ;-)11:45
jelknerwhat we need right now is a decision to move on this11:45
jelknerif we agree team guanaco is going to handle it with lelkneralfaro 11:45
jelkneri need to know i can send you the $ you'll need11:46
jelknerand we can decide to proceed11:46
replaceafilljelkner, i had proposed me taking it because you're already funding my time11:46
replaceafilljelkner, if you're willing to send additional $ for this, i think mr_german should take it11:46
jelknerahh, but if mr_german does it, i can send another deposit11:47
jelknerand we can use your talents for more important product development?11:47
replaceafilljelkner, +111:47
jelknerso again, we are back to a $ estimate11:47
replaceafilljelkner, $400?11:48
replaceafilljelkner, that's a week part time of work11:48
jelknerdone11:48
replaceafilljelkner, or whatever you say that correctly :D11:48
jelkneri'll send that down by tuesday11:48
replaceafilljelkner, cool11:48
replaceafilljelkner, thanks a lot11:48
replaceafillmr_german, you're in charge of leecarter11:48
replaceafillmr_german, ok?11:48
replaceafillmr_german, but please please make sure you write it cleaner this time11:49
replaceafillmr_german, jelkner has a good message for you about quality you should hear11:49
jelkneri do?11:49
replaceafillthis past week has helped us also to get in sync with zOnny and mr_german11:49
replaceafilljelkner, yes! something along the lines of "we're paying for quality work..."11:50
jelkner+111:50
replaceafilljelkner, "if we need to go back cleaning things, that delays us"11:50
replaceafillthat's me paraphrasing jelkner really ;)11:50
jelknermr_german, long term viability means do it well, do it right11:50
jelknerit will keep it cheaper in the long term11:50
jelknerand help novawebdev succeed11:51
jelknerso no cutting corners11:51
jelkneris that what you were thinking, replaceafill?11:51
replaceafillmr_german, if you're around please response11:51
replaceafilljelkner, yep11:51
jelknerwhere is mr_german?11:51
lelkneralfarosounds like things are ready for that point. and if zOnny and mr_german are working on the site redevelopments 11:51
replaceafilljelkner, i assume his home11:52
jelknerlet's move on11:53
ubuntouristreplaceafill, I assume not online. ;-)11:53
jelknerwe'll ask him to read the logs and email us that he understands before he starts working on lee carter11:53
mr_germanIm here11:53
lelkneralfaro:)11:53
lelkneralfarocool. that was the last item11:54
jelknernrcerna, i'll email you to introduce you to daniela, ok?11:54
lelkneralfaroany additions not on the agenda?11:54
lelkneralfarolast comments11:54
ubuntouristSo. Briefly: I went up to Richard Stallman / FSF's conference Libre Planet and picked up a book:11:54
jelknernrcerna?11:55
ubuntourist"Ours to Hack and to Own: The Rise of platform cooperativism, a new vision for the future of work and a fairer Internet"11:55
ubuntouristAvailable online.11:55
jelknerhttp://worldpece.org/sites/default/files/artifacts/media/pdf/ourstohackandown.pdf11:56
nrcernaOk jelkner  11:56
ubuntouristA chapter by Micky Metts with whom we've been in regular contact and who gave a workshop on tech co-ops at Libre Planet.11:56
lelkneralfaro311:56
lelkneralfaro211:57
lelkneralfaro111:57
lelkneralfaroACTION drops the bag of gravel11:57
mr_germanreplaceafill, so, this week i have to work on lee's site?11:57
ubuntouristSome of you may want to look at it.11:57
replaceafillmr_german, yes...11:57
replaceafillubuntourist, will do, thanks for the pdf jelkner11:57
replaceafilli didn't know it was available digitally11:57
replaceafillcough.. free cough...11:57
replaceafill:)11:57
replaceafillzOnny, is there anything you need help with?11:59
replaceafillzOnny, please make sure the content in nea4or and novalaciro makes sense, ok?11:59
zOnnyyour help is always welcome replaceafill 11:59
replaceafillzOnny, i recreated the boxes, navs, etc11:59
replaceafillzOnny, but may have missed something11:59
replaceafillzOnny, oh i changed some of the font awesome icons :P12:00
replaceafillzOnny, feel free to revert12:00
replaceafilljelkner, zOnny ok, i'll get started with the novalaciro id card pdf12:01
replaceafillnrcerna, are you still there?12:01
mr_germanreplaceafill, when you have the change to my ssh key from lee carter server, just let me know please12:02
replaceafillmr_german, i can do that12:02
mr_germanOk12:03
replaceafillmr_german, paste it privately or send it in an email12:03
replaceafillmr_german, https://onetimesecret.com/12:04
mr_germanWait12:04
replaceafillfor reference: ^ "* A secret link only works once and then disappears forever."12:04
replaceafillmr_german, oh wait12:06
mr_germanLife time 5minutes?12:06
replaceafillmr_german, why do you need access to the server?12:06
zOnnyreplaceafill: can you tell me a bit more how to create it12:06
replaceafillzOnny, how to create what?12:07
zOnnyreplaceafill: it should be another form right?12:07
replaceafillzOnny, i don't know what you mean by "it"...12:07
zOnnyreplaceafill: to get a different memberships form12:07
replaceafillzOnny, ah ok, no you don't need another membership form but let's use tendenci's right terms, ok?12:08
replaceafillzOnny, membership forms are really membership applications12:08
replaceafillzOnny, what you need is a new membership TYPE12:08
*** GFbot has joined #novawebdev12:08
replaceafillzOnny, and then go to the membership application and link them both12:08
zOnnyreplaceafill: correct12:08
GFbotreplaceafill, I need you to change my ssh12:08
GFbotbecause12:08
GFbotthe current ssh that server has12:09
GFbotis the old one12:09
replaceafillzOnny, https://demo.tendenci.com/admin/memberships/membershipapp/1/12:09
replaceafillzOnny, see the multiple values selected in the Membership Types field12:09
nrcernaI'm Here know replaceafill 12:09
GFbotI've told you that I had to reinstall ubuntu12:09
replaceafillGFbot, we should stick to the gitlab push process12:10
nrcernawhat do you need? replaceafill 12:10
replaceafillGFbot, i'll set up an leecarter_prod branch12:10
replaceafillGFbot, that you can use12:10
replaceafillGFbot, and set CI to deploy12:10
replaceafillGFbot, ok?12:10
replaceafillGFbot, you can just start by cloning the nova-base-theme repo12:11
replaceafillGFbot, and creating a new branch based on master12:11
replaceafillGFbot, that's a personal branch12:11
replaceafillnrcerna, could you do me a favor12:11
GFbotsame progress as ora?12:11
GFbotok12:11
replaceafillnrcerna, when you work in the changes requested by jelkner12:11
replaceafillnrcerna, taking the phone and adding names, etc12:12
replaceafillnrcerna, once he approves your fixes12:12
replaceafillnrcerna, could you specify colors and fonts used12:12
nrcernaGreat replaceafill , what about size and other things you said?  12:13
replaceafillnrcerna, if you could include those it'd be great12:13
nrcernaOk, I'm going to do that! replaceafill 12:14
replaceafillnrcerna, but i don't think i need them immediately12:14
replaceafillnrcerna, cool, thanks a lot12:14
nrcerna:-)12:14
replaceafillnrcerna, oh and we need this "tan pronto como sea posible" ;)12:14
nrcernaASAP? jaja replaceafill 12:15
replaceafillnrcerna, yeah :D12:15
replaceafillnrcerna, that's becoming jelkner's favorite phrase lately...12:15
nrcernaI know ;) replaceafill 12:16
replaceafillnrcerna, he's becoming the "typical manager"12:16
nrcernaThe typical manager? replaceafill 12:16
replaceafillnrcerna, that one who wants everything ASAP12:16
zOnnyreplaceafill: the *_prod are sync with the prod?12:17
replaceafillnrcerna, i'm joking ofc ;)12:17
nrcernaOh I see! jaja replaceafill 12:17
replaceafillzOnny, eehhh yes?12:17
replaceafillzOnny, that's why they're called *_prod... :P12:17
nrcernaI know :D replaceafill , jelkner knows too.12:17
replaceafillzOnny, i set up CI last night for the *_prod branches12:17
replaceafillzOnny, every push there will land in the servers now12:18
replaceafillzOnny, even ORA12:18
nrcernaSo, see you! Bye o/12:18
replaceafillzOnny, but i didn't update the theme in ORA12:18
replaceafilllater nrcerna o/12:18
zOnnyreplaceafill: I see12:18
zOnnyreplaceafill: I will create a new aplication form 12:19
replaceafillzOnny, and the old themes are still available in case you need them12:19
replaceafillzOnny, why!?!?!!??!?!?12:19
mr_germanas soon you create the "trick" for lee carter's site I can start to work replaceafill 12:19
jelknerping, replaceafill 12:19
replaceafillmr_german, no, you can start now12:19
*** hrodriguez has joined #novawebdev12:19
replaceafillmr_german, you don't need to wait for me12:19
replaceafillmr_german, i told you already12:19
replaceafillmr_german, just clone the base theme repo12:19
mr_germanok12:20
replaceafillmr_german, and do "git checkout -b mr_german/leecarter_cms_foobar_whatever"12:20
replaceafillmr_german, and start working there, pushing to your own space12:20
replaceafilljelkner, pong12:20
mr_germank12:20
jelknercan you call nrcerna and ask her to come back online?12:20
replaceafilljelkner, on it12:21
jelknerthe six of us that want to be founding coop members need to have a discussion12:21
jelknerso that lelkneralfaro can make us "official"12:21
replaceafilljelkner, her cell is either turned off or busy12:21
replaceafilljelkner, let me try to find an alternative12:22
jelknercool12:22
ubuntourist(BTW I previously promised a QR Code tip: See https://research.gallaudet.edu/Tutorials/linux_tips.php#t45 "Linux Tip #45: QR Codes as SVG")12:22
replaceafilljelkner, no luck with nrcerna12:25
jelknerreplaceafill, let me run this by you12:26
jelknerand you can communicate with nrcerna12:26
replaceafilljelkner, ok12:26
jelknerwe are really close to being a legal coop12:26
jelknerlelkneralfaro and ubuntourist are here discussing next steps12:27
jelknerlike listing us in online lists of tech coops, getting a loan, etc.12:27
jelknerso, we need to establish ourselves now12:27
jelknerhere is what we are proposing12:27
jelkner1. the six of us that expressed interest in being the founding members are: replaceafill, zOnny, ubuntourist, jelkner, nrcerna, and lelkneralfaro 12:28
jelkner2. each member needs to contribute either $5000.00 or 100 hours (at $50 per hour) to the coop.12:29
jelkner3. replaceafill and lelkneralfaro, but working for half their reasonable wage rate, have already contributed $5K12:29
jelkner4. ubuntourist and jelkner have contributed $5K in cash12:30
jelkner5. nrcerna and zOnny will contribute 100 hours12:30
jelknerwhich they will use at the beginning of may to redo the novawebdevelopment website12:30
jelknerzOnny, said OK12:31
jelknerwe need nrcerna's response to make this a done deal12:31
replaceafilljelkner, ah ok, got it12:31
replaceafilljelkner, question12:31
replaceafilljelkner, where does the $50 per hour rate come from?12:31
jelknerACTION pulled it out of his butt ;-)12:32
replaceafill:D12:32
replaceafilljelkner, the plan seems reasonable to me12:32
jelknersweet12:33
replaceafilljelkner, i'll try to talk to nrcerna about it asap12:33
jelknersweet12:33
jelknerthen lelkneralfaro will create the spreadsheet that shows the six of us having equal shares in the coop12:33
replaceafilljelkner, great12:34
*** zOnny has joined #novawebdev12:35
*** nrcerna has joined #novawebdev12:36
replaceafilljelkner, got in contact with nrcerna12:36
replaceafilljelkner, there she is12:36
replaceafillnrcerna, http://novawebdevelopment.org/irclogs/2018-04-08.log.html#t12:26:5912:36
replaceafillnrcerna, please read the discussion we just had12:36
replaceafillnrcerna, and let us know what you think12:36
*** zOnny has joined #novawebdev12:37
jelknernrcerna, zOnny we would like to make it "official"12:38
jelknerand need the two of you to agree before we can do that12:38
jelknerit is also important for our success12:38
nrcernaI'm reading know 12:38
nrcernanow*12:38
jelknerACTION waits for nrcerna to finish12:39
zOnnyI am agree jelkner 12:39
nrcernaI'm agree too, jelkner 12:40
zOnnyI am agreement jelkner  htat sounds good ?12:40
zOnny*in12:40
jelknerexcellent12:40
jelknerso, we will be depending on nrcerna and zOnny to build us a wiz bang beautiful new website in the 1st two weeks of may12:41
jelknerthen lelkneralfaro can take on the road to get us a loan12:41
nrcernaGood!  12:42
mr_germanreplaceafill, https://gitlab.com/novawebdevelopment/nova-base-theme/tree/gfbot/lee_carter-cms12:44
replaceafillmr_german, great12:44
replaceafillmr_german, please apply all the things we've discussed this past week12:44
replaceafillmr_german, keep the cms sane, etc12:44
mr_germanreplaceafill, sure12:45
mr_germangot it12:45
replaceafillmr_german, and try to make the design photo independent12:45
mr_germank12:45
replaceafillmr_german, like lee being placed behind the boxes, etc12:45
mr_germanok12:46
mr_germanreplaceafill, what about ora? it done for now?12:46
mr_germanit is*12:47
jelknerreplaceafill, just made a transfer to you12:47
replaceafillmr_german, yes, don't worry about it12:47
replaceafillmr_german, i'll take it from here12:47
jelknerit will include $400 for mr_german 12:47
replaceafilljelkner, ah ok, thanks12:47
jelknerand for nrcerna for novalaciro work12:47
jelknernrcerna, you need to invoice novalaciro12:47
jelknerzOnny can help you with that12:48
jelknersince he has done it already12:48
nrcernaOk jelkner 12:48
*** nrcerna has joined #novawebdev12:59
replaceafillmr_german, you around?13:00
mr_germanreplaceafill, yes13:00
replaceafillmr_german, i just added Lee's site to the CI script13:01
replaceafillmr_german, you'll need to rebase master on your branch13:01
replaceafillmr_german, git checkout your_branch13:01
replaceafillmr_german, git rebase master13:01
replaceafillmr_german, oh sorry13:01
replaceafillmr_german, it should be13:01
replaceafillgit checkout master13:01
replaceafillgit pull origin master13:01
replaceafillgit checkout your_branch13:01
replaceafillgit rebase master13:01
replaceafillgit push origin my_branch13:02
replaceafillmr_german, let me know if you have trouble, hopefully you won't13:02
mr_germanreplaceafill, should I do it now or when i have changes ?13:02
replaceafillmr_german, if you do it now it'll be easier for you13:03
mr_germanok13:03
mr_germanlet me try13:03
replaceafillmr_german, just use your personal branch for now13:03
replaceafillmr_german, dont touch the leecarter_* branches yet13:03
mr_germanok13:03
mr_germanbut, I can do git pull to download the script right?13:03
mr_germannvm13:04
replaceafillmr_german, yes, see the second step13:04
replaceafillmr_german, :)13:04
mr_germanwhen you say "git push origin my_branch"13:05
mr_germanit means master?13:05
replaceafillmr_german, no, your personal branch13:05
replaceafillmr_german, sorry about the lack of specificity :D13:06
mr_germanok13:06
mr_germanhttps://gitlab.com/novawebdevelopment/nova-base-theme/tree/gfbot/lee_carter-cms13:06
mr_germanok, done13:06
mr_germanreplaceafill, 13:06
replaceafillmr_german, looks good, thanks13:08
mr_germanreplaceafill, one question13:11
*** nrcerna has joined #novawebdev13:11
mr_germanfor this case, the rotator should be the banner? right?13:11
replaceafillmr_german, yeah, the rotator should have stories now and it should be kept13:13
mr_germanok+13:14
zOnny hey replaceafill13:15
replaceafillhey zOnny13:32
zOnnyreplaceafill: one question13:34
replaceafillzOnny, yes?13:34
zOnnyreplaceafill: To get novalaciro theme working and running 13:36
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, just fyi i just talked to mr_german and asked him to read Stephanie's change requests, and sent him your way in case he has questions13:36
replaceafillzOnny, yes...?13:37
replaceafillzOnny, you always intrigue me13:38
zOnnyDo I need to set up a new tendenci theme ?13:38
replaceafillzOnny, what are you trying to do?13:39
replaceafillzOnny, set up the new theme in your local instance?13:39
zOnnyI want tu run the novalaciro's branch13:39
zOnny*to13:39
replaceafillzOnny, clone the nova-base-theme repo in your themes13:40
replaceafillzOnny, checkout the _prod branch (or _dev if you prefer)13:40
replaceafillzOnny, set the new theme as default13:40
replaceafillzOnny, create the content (boxes, navs) as the theme expects13:41
replaceafillzOnny, makes sense?13:41
replaceafillzOnny, so to answer your last question, yes, you need a "new" theme13:41
replaceafillzOnny, your instance is already bilingual, right?13:42
jelknerping replaceafill 13:44
replaceafilljelkner, pong13:44
jelknerzOnny and i are having a discussion here about our cms13:45
jelknerwe need to get you involved13:45
replaceafilljelkner, oh no... i mean, sure13:45
replaceafill:)13:45
jelkneri told him i didn't like the way the text looked above the logo on novalaciro13:45
replaceafilljelkner, i know13:45
jelknerhe says you wanted it that way so the user could make changes to it13:46
jelknerWTF?, I said ;-)13:46
replaceafilljelkner, no, i wanted that way because i wanted to test that approach13:46
replaceafilljelkner, that area may not ever change13:46
jelknerok, i want to just report the problem13:46
jelknerusers will not want to change their logos like that13:46
jelknernot usually anyway13:47
replaceafilljelkner, yep, notice the usually part13:47
replaceafilljelkner, but let me get something straight13:47
jelknerplease13:47
replaceafilljelkner, i'm not married to any decision we've made in the past week13:47
replaceafilljelkner, we're just starting learning this cms thingy13:47
jelknerunderstood13:48
replaceafilljelkner, if you (the customer) think that banner can be hardcoded, that's fine with me13:48
jelkner+113:48
replaceafilljelkner, i could have used yagni for a lot of things13:48
jelknerthis is an art, not a science13:48
jelkner+113:48
replaceafilljelkner, but i was mostly experimenting13:48
jelknerhere be dragons13:48
replaceafilljelkner, but now we're in the position where zOnny can take any of this and adjust it as needed13:48
replaceafilljelkner, as i said in my email last night13:49
jelknerACTION anticipates the call from keri, saying "i wanted to update the site, but i broke it!"13:49
replaceafilljelkner, oh yes13:49
replaceafilljelkner, that'll happen for sure13:49
jelknerlet's start small13:49
jelknergive the users what they really need13:49
jelknernot what they don't13:49
replaceafilljelkner, we're giving users the right amount of rope for them to hang themselves :D13:49
jelknerthe more they need, the more we should charge them13:49
*** ubuntourist has joined #novawebdev13:49
replaceafilljelkner, fine13:50
jelknerif we keep letting our user kill themselves13:50
jelknerwe won't have many users soon :-(13:50
replaceafilljelkner, the users can kill themselves in other parts, not just the banner13:50
jelkneri don't know the answer13:50
jelkneronly the question13:50
replaceafilljelkner, sure13:51
jelkner(typical bs from a teacher)13:51
replaceafilljelkner, anyway13:51
replaceafilljelkner, i consider all of our themes malleable13:51
replaceafilljelkner, if that's the rigth word13:51
jelknerbut we want and need happy, empowered users13:51
replaceafilljelkner, if the customer requests something we do it13:51
replaceafilljelkner, and in novalaciro's case you are the customer13:51
jelknerfor some users, even a cms is going to seem daunting13:51
replaceafilljelkner, indeed13:52
jelknerfair enough13:52
jelkneryou can make me bleed if you want to13:52
replaceafilljelkner, that's why i keep insisting on us not changing the cms too much13:52
jelkneri'm cool with that13:52
jelknerbut should i really have to position the logo font?13:52
replaceafilljelkner, if we start giving people different versions of the cms13:52
jelknerif we are not giving users different versions13:52
jelknerthen let's give none of them banner editing13:53
replaceafilljelkner, +113:53
jelknercool13:53
replaceafilljelkner, but you're ok with the banner "position" right?13:53
jelkneri can go back to asking zOnny to fix the banner13:53
jelkner+113:53
replaceafilljelkner, so we could adjust our base template to always have it13:53
jelkneri don't like the logo text13:53
replaceafilljelkner, and if not used, just not display it13:53
replaceafilljelkner, oh yes, the old banner zOnny had it's much better13:54
jelkneri told zOnny that even if replaceafill says it is not the right way to do it, if it is too hard to make it look right13:54
jelknerbut the text in the image13:54
jelkneri leave that up to you13:54
jelknerbut my requirements are that the text look nice and stay fixed relative to the map of Virginia13:54
jelkners/but/put13:54
replaceafilljelkner, my only comment there13:55
jelknerput the text in the image13:55
replaceafilljelkner, is that zOnny should have a monitor to test the resolution you want13:55
replaceafilljelkner, when he's developing13:55
replaceafilljelkner, we all should, but he's our designer13:55
jelkneragreed13:55
replaceafilljelkner, if you want the site to look good on 2600x1600 px13:55
replaceafilljelkner, we need a way to test that13:55
replaceafilljelkner, anyway13:56
jelkneranyway13:56
replaceafilljelkner, change anything at will13:56
replaceafilljelkner, it's not my code or my way of doing things anymore13:56
jelknerokie dokie13:56
replaceafilljelkner, it's ours13:56
jelkner?13:56
jelkneri don't understand what you just said13:56
replaceafilljelkner, last week i was like a dictator, trying to keep zOnny and mr_german inbounds13:57
replaceafilljelkner, not giving them enough space on purpose13:57
replaceafilljelkner, that was "my" way of doing things at that point13:57
jelkneryou need to get them on the same page13:57
jelkneri think for now, that is a good approach13:57
replaceafilljelkner, now that the themes are in production13:57
jelknerthe day will come when they are confident to challenge you13:57
jelknerwe aren't there yet13:57
replaceafilljelkner, we adjust them according to the customer, not me13:57
jelknerbut only you have the wisdom to estimate the cost13:58
jelknerthat's the most important thing to keep in mind13:58
jelknerit will always be about trade offs13:58
replaceafilljelkner, sure, just take into account i'm a developer, not a user13:58
replaceafilljelkner, you and me see things differently because of that13:58
jelknerlike you've said many times, "it's software, we can do it"13:58
jelknerbut we need to give the customer some feel for the cost13:58
replaceafilljelkner, agree13:59
jelknerso my responsibility is to communicate needs / wants clearly13:59
jelkneryour responsibility is to estimate costs and deliver pretty close to your estimates13:59
replaceafilljelkner, a process we haven't been following much14:00
jelknerwe need to follow that more close14:00
jelknerly14:00
replaceafilljelkner, yes14:00
jelkneror we can't effectively bill customers14:00
jelknerwe've talked about this a lot14:00
replaceafilljelkner, now with this base theme decision i think more things will fall in place14:01
jelknerwe won't really learn to do it until we have paying customers14:01
replaceafilljelkner, zOnny will be able to estimate better too14:01
jelkner+114:01
jelknerok, lelkneralfaro wants to talk to me14:01
replaceafilljelkner, ok14:01
lelkneralfaroreplaceafill, I just saw what you said about mr_german and the change requests. I'm confused, we are doing the site change over to tendenci correct? Not just making the changes she requested14:01
jelknernot me, replaceafill, you14:01
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, i asked mr_german to read those docs first14:01
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, and mark what's possible with the cms and what's not14:02
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, some things like layout of the issues page14:02
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, it's not straight forward14:02
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, in that part i was telling mr_german *i* would like to experiment14:03
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, with a new template14:03
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, he already knows how to do it14:03
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, it's not necessary for us to do it14:03
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, we can just tell Stephanie "this is too hard" or something14:03
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, or provide alternative layouts14:03
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, remember that we've done just a couple of pages currently with the new layout14:04
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, does any of this make sens?14:05
lelkneralfaroreplaceafill, i think so14:05
replaceafillmr_german, you around?14:06
lelkneralfaroreplaceafill, what would we tell Stephanie is too hard14:06
lelkneralfaroreplaceafill,?14:06
lelkneralfaroreplaceafill, that's the one part that I'm confused on14:06
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, let me look for the example i'm thinking of14:06
lelkneralfaroreplaceafill, and the new layout is tendenci 2018 correct?14:06
lelkneralfaroreplaceafill, it's possible I'm a bit behind on the tech developments14:06
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, from now on we call it nova base theem14:07
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, theme*14:07
lelkneralfaroreplaceafill, okay cool14:07
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, but yes, it's a rip off of the 2018 theme :)14:07
lelkneralfaroreplaceafill, understood14:07
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, "If possible, if we could get a widget that pulls in the bills Lee has co-patroned and patroned from LIS (http://lis.virginia.gov/cgi-bin/legp604.exe?181+mbr+H293) that would be amazing. "14:08
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, that's a hard no from me14:08
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, that would be*14:08
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, but i think it's mr_german decision now14:08
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, "I’d really like to change the look of this page: Removing the icons at the top, making the boxes small or organizing them differently so the reader doesn’t have to scroll as much for basic information"14:08
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, the "making the boxes small" can't be handled with a simple page14:09
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, you can go to the demo and add a page and see how simple the resulting layout is14:10
lelkneralfaroreplaceafill, okay but long story short. we will provide the new site with the nova base theme but some features we cannot provide in the way that she requested them, so we will have to communicate that to her14:10
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, correct14:10
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, that's what i asked mr_german to tell you14:10
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, what things are not possible or easy to deliver14:10
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, and what can be done with the cms14:10
lelkneralfaroreplaceafill, okay got it. 14:10
lelkneralfaroreplaceafill, sorry to cut you off, but we have to leave this room now14:11
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, np14:11
replaceafilllelkneralfaro, ttyl14:11
lelkneralfaroreplaceafill, cool. talk to you soon.14:11
replaceafillmr_german, CI for lee's ready14:37
replaceafillmr_german, the leecarter_dev branch points to https://leecarter-dev.novawebdevelopment.org/14:37
mr_germanreplaceafill, thanks!14:37
replaceafillmr_german, and the leecarter_prod branch points to http://leecarter.novawebdevelopment.org/14:37
replaceafillmr_german, they both look the same at the moment, empty14:37
mr_germanso14:37
mr_germanI don't have to touch the prod14:38
mr_germanjust def14:38
mr_germandev*14:38
replaceafillmr_german, no, you have write access in both14:38
replaceafillmr_german, it's your project!14:38
replaceafillmr_german, you should have the ability to do anything ;)14:38
mr_germanreplaceafill, ok14:39
replaceafillmr_german, use _dev to show things you're not sure about, experiment, etc14:39
replaceafillmr_german, _prod should have things Stephanie wants/needs14:39
replaceafillmr_german, and they can be sync'ed if you want also14:39
replaceafillmr_german, all i'm doing is giving you ability to publish both branches14:40
replaceafillmr_german, ok?14:40
replaceafillok14:40
replaceafillACTION goes home14:40
replaceafillsee you tomorrow mr_german14:40
replaceafillo/14:40
mr_germanreplaceafill, see you14:41
mr_germano/14:41
*** mr_german has joined #novawebdev16:18
*** GFbot has joined #novawebdev16:56
*** zOnny has joined #novawebdev17:44
zOnnyGFbot are you around ?17:45
*** zOnny has joined #novawebdev19:33
*** zOnny has joined #novawebdev20:09

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.17.2 by Marius Gedminas - find it at https://mg.pov.lt/irclog2html/!