IRC log of #novawebdev for Tuesday, 2019-07-09

*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev02:32
*** Sambrem has joined #novawebdev10:05
*** nrcerna has joined #novawebdev10:13
*** zOnny has joined #novawebdev10:23
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev10:27
*** GFbot has joined #novawebdev11:35
*** jelkner has joined #novawebdev12:29
jelknerHello everyone from Santa Ana!12:29
jelknerzOnny, r u here?12:30
jelkneri'm here with Natalia and German12:30
jelkneroh zOnny 12:31
jelknerlet me know when you see this12:31
*** nrcerna has joined #novawebdev12:31
*** kgrieco has joined #novawebdev12:34
jelknerHello kgrieco and Sambrem 12:35
jelkneris zOnny there with you?12:35
kgriecohi jelkner yes he's here12:35
SambremHello! He is.12:35
nrcernaHello Sambrem, kgrieco 12:35
zOnnyjelkner: Hello World12:35
kgriecohi nrcerna 12:36
jelknerhello zOnny 12:36
SambremHi nrcerna!12:36
jelkneri'm here in santa ana with nrcerna and GFbot 12:36
nrcernahow is everything going? 12:36
jelkneri had a great opportunity to talk with replaceafill last night and this morning12:36
jelknerhe says to say "hi" (probably should be "Hello World" with you ;-)12:37
jelknerand suggests that you two set up regular monthly meetings to check-in12:37
jelknerhe is learning a lot at his job about scaling Django applications that he can share with you12:38
jelknerthey have the United Nations as a main client12:38
jelknerso they need to handle large scale data and throughput12:38
jelknerhe is planning on participating in our spring during the weekend of july 20 and 2112:39
zOnnyjelkner: wOw!! that's cool12:39
jelknerwould you be available to work with him then, zOnny?12:40
jelkneroops, s/spring/sprint12:40
jelknerzOnny, should we have a brief check-in on what everyone is working on?12:41
zOnnyjelkner: ok12:41
jelkneri was suggesting to nrcerna and GFbot that they should be working on a new website for us12:41
jelknerdo you agree with that, zOnny?12:41
zOnnyjelkner: I agree12:42
jelknergreat12:42
jelkneri told them they need to make it "fabulous"12:42
jelknerso it shows off our design skills12:42
jelknerand we will also want to integrate our LibreOrganize tools into it12:43
jelknerso we can dog food our main product12:43
jelknerzOnny, i will be focusing on learning Django12:44
jelknermy first task will be to finish Test-Driven Development with Django12:44
jelknerand then perhaps to expand the ToDo app that book develops into something we can use12:45
zOnnyjelkner: great12:45
jelknerunless you have anything to add12:45
jelkneri'm going to start on that now12:46
zOnnyjelkner: how many chapters you have left?12:46
jelknerhold on...12:46
zOnnynrcerna: once you get a chance ask jelkner or GFbot about git12:47
nrcernaOk, I'm going to do it zOnny12:48
jelkneri'm on chapter 17712:48
jelkner17712:48
jelkner1712:48
GFbotzOnny, i'll take care of that12:48
jelknerlol12:48
GFbot;)12:48
jelknerthere are 26 chapters12:49
zOnnyjelkner: wow12:50
jelknerhttps://gitlab.com/jelkner/tddbook312:51
jelknerthat's my repo for this12:51
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev12:53
zOnnyjelkner: I see13:04
zOnnyjelkner: we should try to migrate tendenci7 to tendenci11 first13:05
jelkner+113:05
jelknera big +113:05
zOnnyjelkner: we were trying to migrate with kevin last time13:05
zOnnyI mean  kevin Cole13:05
jelknerwhen was "last time"?13:06
zOnnyjelkner: Pycon13:06
jelknerthat should be GFbot's main task13:06
jelknerhe can ask replaceafill for help13:06
jelknerwhen he comes for our sprint13:06
jelkneryou should join them13:06
*** nrcerna has joined #novawebdev13:07
zOnnyjelkner: +113:07
zOnnyjelkner: tendenci's migrations are a little confuse13:09
jelknerconfusing13:09
zOnnyjelkner: I'm going to try over again.13:10
jelknerwell, we need to do it in any case13:10
zOnnyjelkner: after upgrading ARA 13:10
jelknerwork done on tendency7 would be wasted effort13:10
jelknerso migrating is the first step13:10
jelknerdefinitely13:10
GFbotzOnny, when you have time, Can you add my ssh key to novawedev server?13:13
jelknerzOnny, sorry to interrupt, but how did it go with the ORA meeting?13:13
jelkneri'm just catching up on email now13:13
jelknerand notice Roshan's email about attendance13:13
jelknerdid that work?13:13
zOnnyjelkner: right13:13
jelknerright? does that mean "yes"?13:15
zOnnyjelkner: that was my fault. I didn't check it.13:15
jelknerso, this is a good opportunity to talk with nrcerna and GFbot about what we will need to do to be successful13:16
jelkneryou can't expect not to make mistakes like that, zOnny 13:16
jelknerit is not possible to avoid them13:16
jelknerso, to be successful, we need LibreOrganize to be able to do this:13:17
jelkner1. 99.9% of the time without our intervention13:17
jelkner2. Then we need an "emergency protocol" for the 0.01% of the time when something goes wrong13:17
jelkneri don't want to take a lot of time now on this13:18
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev13:18
jelknerbut it is really important for nrcerna to understand13:18
jelknerif we can't offer a reliable product13:18
jelknerwe can not successfully market it13:18
jelknerLibreOrganize is a long term project13:18
jelknersince we are not ready yet13:18
jelknerwe lack the skills13:19
*** Sambrem has joined #novawebdev13:19
jelknerto build it properly13:19
jelknerfor the medium term, marketing more basic, custom Django applications like the one we are doing for Gallaudet is likely to be what sustains us13:19
jelknerbut, we have $15K we can spend on making LibreOrganize better this Summer13:19
jelknerso let's us that wisely13:20
jelknerthat is not a lot of money13:20
jelknerbut it will get us through the Summer13:20
jelknerso, zOnny, can you please write an email to Roshan apologizing for our lapse in service13:20
zOnnyjelkner: I did respond him13:21
jelknerand suggesting that he call you next time, instead of emailing on something as time sensitive as this13:21
jelknerok, never mind then13:21
jelknerthanks13:21
jelknerdid you suggest that he call13:21
jelkner?13:21
jelknerit is not fair to you to have to check your email constantly13:21
zOnnyjelkner: I will let him know that.13:21
jelknerso a real time communication like a phone call makes more sense on this kind of issue13:22
jelknerthat is super time sensitive13:22
zOnnyjelkner: I will13:23
jelknerthanks, my friend13:24
jelkneris ORA tendency 11 yet?13:24
jelkneri'm trying to get an idea where we are with this.13:25
jelknerAre any of our sites Tendency 11?13:25
zOnnyjelkner: not yet.13:25
jelknerwhat do we need to do to migrate all of them, zOnny?13:25
jelknerahh13:25
jelknernone are13:25
jelknerso you are 100% right!13:26
jelknermigrating our own website to Tendenci 11 is out #1 priority13:26
zOnnyjelkner: this is the time to make that happen13:26
GFbot1+ zOnny 13:26
zOnnyjelkner: I agree13:26
jelknerso we can dog food (I'm saying that again for nrcerna's benefit ;-)13:26
jelknerso i'll shut up now and let you all get working on that!13:27
nrcernaOk13:27
GFbotzOnny, I sent you an email right now.13:28
nrcernaGfbot migrate first and I can work on how is going to look the design and some ideas to integrare Libre Organize to the website13:28
zOnnyGFbot: I got it13:29
zOnnyhold on13:29
GFbotzOnny, thanks!13:29
nrcernaOk, let's do it13:29
nrcernato you zOnny13:30
zOnnyGFbot: done13:31
GFbotzOnny, it works!13:31
*** kgrieco has joined #novawebdev13:38
jelknerzOnny, i just sent an email to replaceafill asking if he could help with Tendency 11 migration this weekend.14:13
jelknerlet's see what he says14:13
zOnnyjelkner: grat14:18
zOnny*great14:18
jelknerACTION shutting down for lunch.  bb after eating14:52
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev15:00
*** nrcerna has joined #novawebdev15:24
*** jelkner has joined #novawebdev15:36
jelknerNot to make anyone jealous, but we are being spoiled terribly here!15:37
jelknernrcerna and GFbot's grandmother brought us a lunch of salad, chicken soup, chicken, tortillas and home made orchata that was absolutely delicious!15:37
jelknerback to work15:38
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev15:53
*** replaceafill has joined #novawebdev16:44
replaceafillhello zOnny 16:45
zOnnyreplaceafill: hi16:45
replaceafillGFbot, nrcerna do you know where jelkner is?16:46
*** kgrieco has joined #novawebdev16:46
replaceafillzOnny, do you have a traceback of what's failing the tendenci 7 -> 11 migration?16:46
zOnnyreplaceafill: I'm trying it again16:47
nrcernaYes replaceafill16:48
replaceafillzOnny, cool, so you're not blocked atm, right?16:48
zOnnyreplaceafill: one question16:48
zOnnyreplaceafill: while running pip install --no-binary psycopg2 -r requirements/dev.txt --upgrade16:49
replaceafillzOnny, ...is the question coming at some point? :)16:51
zOnnyreplaceafill: yes16:51
nrcernareplaceafill quick question: did you se my text message?16:52
zOnnyreplaceafill: https://imgur.com/a/optASve16:52
replaceafillnrcerna, i did, thanks!16:52
nrcernaOk16:52
replaceafillzOnny, are you trying to migrate that novalaciro instance?16:53
zOnnyreplaceafill: Are we using NGINX or Apache2 ?16:53
replaceafillzOnny, apache216:53
zOnnyreplaceafill: great16:53
zOnnyreplaceafill: yes16:53
zOnnyreplaceafill: I know16:54
replaceafillzOnny, is that "venv" you have activated a python2 virtual environment?16:54
zOnnyreplaceafill: the new venv is pyhton316:54
zOnnyreplaceafill: the python2 venv is venv.t716:54
zOnnyreplaceafill: as recommended16:54
replaceafillzOnny, the one you have active in that screenshot?16:54
zOnnyreplaceafill: python316:55
replaceafillzOnny, i think this is the problem https://pypi.org/project/BeautifulSoup/16:56
zOnnyreplaceafill: right16:56
zOnnyreplaceafill: it is complaining about the print statement16:56
replaceafillzOnny, that package looks old16:56
replaceafillzOnny, i wonder what is bringing it as a dependency?16:57
replaceafillzOnny, do you know?16:57
replaceafillzOnny, oh never mind, it's in the screenshot16:57
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev16:57
replaceafillzOnny, wait!?!? tendenci8!?!?16:57
replaceafillzOnny, what instructions are you following?16:58
replaceafillzOnny, do you have a URL to sharE?16:58
zOnnyreplaceafill: I am here https://tendenci.readthedocs.io/en/latest/upgrade/upgrade-to-tendenci11.html#step-4b-update-existing-configuration16:58
zOnnyreplaceafill: I will skip the step 4B 16:59
replaceafillzOnny, but then you were able to pass this pip error?17:01
zOnnyreplaceafill: I'm holding it17:02
replaceafillzOnny, what do you mean "holding it"?17:03
replaceafillzOnny, do you mean you "ignored it"?17:03
zOnnyreplaceafill: yes17:04
replaceafillzOnny, oh i think i understand what's happening17:05
replaceafillzOnny, but this would be faster to talk about17:05
replaceafillzOnny, when can you "talk" as in audio chat?17:06
zOnnyreplaceafill: after 6:00 pm17:06
zOnnyreplaceafill: I'm with the prime students17:06
zOnnyreplaceafill: at the library17:06
replaceafillzOnny, it's 5:06 pm now, right?17:07
zOnnyreplaceafill: no17:07
zOnnyreplaceafill:  it's 5:07 pm now17:07
replaceafill¬¬17:07
replaceafillzOnny, ok...17:10
replaceafillzOnny, so you see, do you remember how that novalaciro directory was created?17:10
zOnnyreplaceafill: yes17:11
zOnnyreplaceafill: ?17:11
replaceafillzOnny, how was it created?17:11
zOnnyreplaceafill: https://gitlab.com/novawebdevelopment/nova-base-theme/snippets/1733233#L3117:12
zOnnyreplaceafill: are you talking about the app ?17:12
zOnnyreplaceafill: or the project ?17:13
replaceafillzOnny, the project17:13
replaceafillzOnny, that novalaciro project is a tendenci7 project, right?17:13
zOnnyreplaceafill: yes17:13
zOnnyreplaceafill: but I backed it up17:14
replaceafillzOnny, so it has tendenci 7 requirements17:14
zOnnyreplaceafill: the novalaciro.t7 is tendenci717:14
zOnnyreplaceafill: just following the instructions17:14
replaceafillzOnny, let's wait until 6 pm17:16
replaceafillzOnny, and i'll try to explain17:16
zOnnyreplaceafill: great17:16
replaceafillGFbot, are you following this?17:16
zOnnyreplaceafill: I will be at home 6:3017:16
zOnnyreplaceafill: driving takes me time17:17
replaceafillzOnny, cool, i took the day off today so i can wait, and i'd rather to have this solved today if possible17:18
replaceafillzOnny, tomorrow i get back to work and i'll be busy during the weekend17:18
zOnnyreplaceafill: I see17:18
replaceafillzOnny, acording to jelkner this is blocking you17:18
replaceafillzOnny, so the sooner it gets passed the better17:19
zOnnyreplaceafill: exactly17:19
replaceafillzOnny, so you all can keep sprinting17:19
replaceafillzOnny, ping me or email me when you're home17:19
zOnnyreplaceafill: ok17:19
replaceafillnrcerna, is GFbot also taking a nap? :)17:21
nrcernanope hi is working on migrate the site, that is the main task jelkner gave him17:22
replaceafillnrcerna, are you acting project manager already? :)17:22
nrcernaand actually hi is working hard since we started replaceafill17:23
nrcernaI am :)17:23
replaceafillnrcerna, he's not paying attention to IRC though17:23
replaceafillnrcerna, and he should17:23
nrcernaOk Im going to push him to do it17:23
nrcernaa little bit 17:24
GFbothi :)17:24
replaceafillGFbot, check the logs of this afternoon17:24
replaceafillGFbot, and let me know if you faced the same issue zOnny did17:24
nrcernaHe said Ok, it is reading out replaceafill17:25
replaceafillnrcerna, cool thanks17:25
nrcernanice17:25
nrcernareplaceafill are you leaving now?17:26
replaceafillnrcerna, not yet, why?17:26
GFbotreplaceafill, that problem about dev.txt17:27
GFbot?17:27
replaceafillGFbot, yes17:27
nrcernaI guess Gfbot should ask some things he dont understand17:27
replaceafillnrcerna, he should :)17:27
GFbotreplaceafill, yes, i found the solution i think17:27
GFbotnow that im working on nova17:27
replaceafillGFbot, what's the solution?17:27
GFbotreplaceafill, you need to install python3.6 if the server is running 3.5, and create a virtualenv using 3.617:28
GFbotthats how i fixed it17:28
replaceafillzOnny, are you following this ^?17:28
replaceafillGFbot, did you get the same error zOnny showed in the traceback screenshot?17:29
zOnnyreplaceafill: great17:29
replaceafillnrcerna, do you know about private messages in IRC?17:29
GFbotreplaceafill, nop.17:29
replaceafillGFbot, what solution did you find then?17:30
nrcernaGerman is going to teach me about it replaceafill17:30
replaceafillnrcerna, cool17:30
GFbotsudo add-apt-repository ppa:jonathonf/python-3.617:31
GFbotsudo apt update17:31
GFbotsudo apt install python3.617:31
GFbotand then python3.6 -m virtualenv -p python3.6 venv17:31
replaceafillzOnny, can you confirm you're using a python3.6 venv?17:32
zOnnyreplaceafill: Python 3.6.8 17:32
replaceafillGFbot, are you working with an existing project?17:32
replaceafillGFbot, or did you create a new one?17:33
GFbotreplaceafill, a new one.17:33
replaceafillGFbot, migrating means using existing ones though17:33
replaceafillGFbot, you should be using an existing one17:34
replaceafillGFbot, we know we can handle ***new*** tendenci11 sites17:34
replaceafillright zOnny?17:34
replaceafillit's converting the existing ones we can't do at the moment17:34
replaceafillfrom tendenci 7 (*********with data************) to tendenci1117:35
replaceafilland have the existing data to work17:35
GFbotreplaceafill, mm ok, im going to do it with the current data17:36
replaceafillGFbot, cool17:37
replaceafillGFbot, i think that's what zOnny is trying to do17:37
replaceafillso to be clear, the goal we're trying to solve17:37
replaceafill1. create tendenci7 project17:37
replaceafill2. create dummy content (user, page, forum, etc - one of each kind)17:38
replaceafill3. migrate/convert project to tendenci 1117:38
replaceafill4. ...17:38
replaceafill5. profit!17:38
replaceafill:D17:38
GFbotsounds easy :D17:38
GFbotbut its not17:38
GFbot:(17:38
replaceafillGFbot, so you shouldn't be trying with an empty/new tendenci 11 site17:39
replaceafillGFbot, unless you want to focus on something different17:39
replaceafillGFbot, but i understand this is the priority #1 now17:39
GFbotreplaceafill, im going to do it with tendenci717:40
replaceafillGFbot, kk17:40
replaceafillGFbot, let us know if you hit the same issue zOnny  did17:40
GFbotcool17:41
replaceafillGFbot, and if you can hangout at 4:30 pm our time, that'd be great17:41
GFbot1+17:41
GFbotreplaceafill, i got same error 17:53
GFbotreplaceafill, with BeautifulSoup17:53
replaceafillGFbot, great!18:00
replaceafillGFbot, i'll explain what i think it's happening when we meet with zOnny, ok?18:01
GFbotreplaceafill, cool18:03
*** jelkner has joined #novawebdev18:08
jelknerGood afternoon, replaceafill 18:09
replaceafilljelkner, hey man, good afternoon18:09
replaceafilljelkner, hope you feel recharged :)18:09
replaceafilljelkner, i'm uncertain about my weekend at this point18:09
replaceafilljelkner, i was planning to compensate a few work hours since i took the day off today18:09
replaceafilljelkner, and since i'm free *today* i've asked zOnny and GFbot if we can hangout to unblock the migration process18:10
jelknerI do18:10
replaceafilljelkner, we're meeting back when zOnny gets home (in about half an hour)18:10
jelknertoday is better than the weekend, my friend18:11
replaceafilljelkner, definitely18:11
jelknersince as zOnny said, we are blocking on this18:11
jelknerbut he isn't here now18:11
jelknerdoes he know we are planning on meeting?18:11
replaceafilljelkner, he's on his way home18:11
jelknerahh18:12
jelknercool18:12
*** zOnny has joined #novawebdev18:46
zOnnyreplaceafill: ping18:46
replaceafillzOnny, pong18:46
replaceafillzOnny, you ready to hangout?18:47
zOnnyreplaceafill: ready18:47
replaceafillGFbot, you ready?18:47
GFbotreplaceafill, yes18:47
replaceafillzOnny, GFbot  http://novawebdevelopment.org/hangout18:48
replaceafillzOnny, we're in18:49
replaceafillzOnny, ?18:50
GFbotreplaceafill, zOnny write: deactivate 18:55
replaceafillhttps://tendenci.readthedocs.io/en/latest/upgrade/upgrade-to-tendenci11.html19:05
replaceafillhttps://github.com/tendenci/tendenci-project-template/blob/master/requirements/tendenci.txt19:13
GFbotreplaceafill, zOnny https://cifraronline.com/19:23
GFbothttps://www.miniwebtool.com/django-secret-key-generator/19:23
*** ubuntourist has joined #novawebdev19:27
replaceafilljelkner, have a minute to talk?19:58
replaceafilljelkner, actually, can you hang out?19:59
jelknerhmmm19:59
zOnnyreplaceafill: thanks 19:59
jelknerdon't have a headset19:59
replaceafilljelkner, cool, np then19:59
jelkneri guess i could sit near GFbot's computer19:59
replaceafillzOnny, np, good luck19:59
replaceafilljelkner, that's fine i just wanted to update you on what we just discussed19:59
replaceafilljelkner, on a particular point actually20:00
GFbotreplaceafill, http://novawebdevelopment.org/hangout20:00
replaceafilljelkner, i don't think zOnny and GFbot should both be working on migrating things20:00
replaceafilljelkner, i know zOnny has his hands full with Galludet20:00
GFbotreplaceafill, can you join to hangout20:00
GFbot?20:00
replaceafillGFbot, a sec20:00
replaceafillzOnny, you can join too if you want20:01
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev20:03
replaceafillzOnny, you around?20:03
zOnnyreplaceafill: yes20:03
replaceafillzOnny, can you join the hangout back?20:04
zOnnyreplaceafill: ok20:04
nrcernareplaceafill zOnny Gfbot I want to share this with you, It isnt finnished yet but it is a great start I think20:21
nrcernahttps://imgur.com/a/961FkfW20:21
nrcernahttps://imgur.com/a/iX4AJjY20:23
nrcernaIt seems like the link it doesnt work 20:24
replaceafillnrcerna, yeah, i can't see any of those20:24
nrcernaOk wait20:24
replaceafillzOnny, https://github.com/tendenci/tendenci/issues/72220:25
zOnnyreplaceafill: thx20:26
replaceafillACTION leaves for the day20:44
jelknerACTION signs off for the evening.21:18
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev21:49
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev22:54
*** mjsir911 has joined #novawebdev23:04

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.17.2 by Marius Gedminas - find it at https://mg.pov.lt/irclog2html/!