IRC log of #novawebdev for Thursday, 2020-04-02

*** ubuntourist[m] has joined #novawebdev08:36
*** ubuntourist has joined #novawebdev09:58
*** ubuntourist_ has joined #novawebdev10:07
ubuntouristACTION is using jitsi client10:08
*** abuchholz has joined #novawebdev14:12
abuchholz!remind14:17
ubuntouristACTION is using the jitsi client to connect to irc...14:18
*** jelkner has joined #novawebdev14:25
ubuntouristTrying to figure out how to get the Jitsi client to hook to Jitsi Meeting... No joy ATM.14:39
ubuntourist!remind14:39
ubuntouristACTION figured out why riot.im can't see !reminders but can add new ones:14:45
ubuntouristThe behavior has apparently changed(?) and !remind opens a private room rather than displaying inline.14:45
ubuntouristRiot.IM *might* be putting them somewhere else, but I don't know where.14:46
ubuntouristJitsi client, on the other hand, opened a new tab and put the !reminders there.14:46
*** nrcerna has joined #novawebdev15:00
nrcerna!remind15:16
nrcerna!remind business tracker progress (zOnny GFbot)15:19
"business tracker progress (zOnny GFbot)" added to message queue15:19
*** abuchholz has joined #novawebdev15:20
*** Doisaac has joined #novawebdev15:21
*** CMoran has joined #novawebdev15:21
*** CMoran has joined #novawebdev15:37
ubuntourist!remind Try me first! Ubuntourist is inviting you to a meeting.15:44
"Try me first! Ubuntourist is inviting you to a meeting." added to message queue15:44
ubuntouristJoin the meeting:15:44
ubuntouristhttps://meet.jit.si/NovaWebDevelopment15:44
ubuntourist!remind Oops! Try ME first: https://meet.jit.si/NovaWebDevelopment15:45
"Oops! Try ME first: https://meet.jit.si/NovaWebDevelopment" added to message queue15:45
*** lbolz has joined #novawebdev15:45
*** bcassatt has joined #novawebdev15:50
nrcerna!remind15:50
*** Amina25 has joined #novawebdev15:50
*** SAhmad has joined #novawebdev15:50
ubuntouristubuntourist is inviting you to a meeting.15:51
ubuntouristJoin the meeting:15:51
ubuntouristhttps://meet.jit.si/NovaWebDevelopment15:51
ubuntouristTo join by phone instead, tap this: +1.512.402.2718,,2550403820#15:51
ubuntouristLooking for a different dial-in number?15:51
ubuntouristSee meeting dial-in numbers: https://meet.jit.si/static/dialInInfo.html?room=NovaWebDevelopment15:51
ubuntouristIf also dialing-in through a room phone, join without connecting to audio: https://meet.jit.si/NovaWebDevelopment#config.startSilent=true15:51
*** PAldea has joined #novawebdev15:51
*** GFbot has joined #novawebdev15:52
*** hrodriguez has joined #novawebdev15:53
jelknerGood morning, hrodriguez!15:56
hrodriguezGood mornig jelkner 15:58
abuchholz!time15:59
LittleBrother2020-04-02 15:59:16.83169715:59
*** zOnny has joined #novawebdev15:59
zOnny : hrodriguez : GFbot : PAldea : SAhmad : Amina25 : bcassatt : lbolz : CMoran : abuchholz : nrcerna : +jelkner : @ubuntourist : @ubuntourist[m] : @mjsir911 : wolcen : @ChanServ16:00
However, Riot.IM does not understand !remind w/ no arguments... Odd. (ubuntourist)16:00
NOVALACIRO is up for testing featuring: translation, improved design responsiveness (down to 3.5inch devices), memberships, events, and boxes (SITarabuta)16:00
https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet/blob/master/doc/quick-install.md ? (ubuntourist[m])16:00
Mumble is lightweight. Jitsi might be too heavyweight. (ubuntourist[m])16:00
business tracker progress (zOnny GFbot) (nrcerna)16:00
Try me first! Ubuntourist is inviting you to a meeting. (ubuntourist)16:00
Oops! Try ME first: https://meet.jit.si/NovaWebDevelopment (ubuntourist)16:00
nrcernaHello everyone!16:00
jelknerGood morning!16:00
abuchholzGood Afternoon ;)16:01
lbolzhello!16:01
GFbothello16:01
ubuntouristACTION grunts, grumbles, as usual...16:01
nrcernaBefore I start I want to congratulate ubuntourist 16:02
nrcernaIts amazing what you did :)16:02
*** SITarabuta has joined #novawebdev16:02
ubuntouristFor filling up the !remind queue with useless crap? ;-)16:02
nrcernano, for the video call :) 16:03
nrcernacan you talk about this? ubuntourist 16:03
ubuntouristnrcerna: Much of that can be ignored. Go for the actual business stuff, and people can play around with the other stuff afterwards.16:03
nrcerna(A quick comment)16:03
SITarabutaHi everyone! I am a little late, as always16:03
nrcernagreat ubuntourist 16:04
nrcernaSo next item:  Discuss Wiki for NovaWebDev (abuchholz)16:04
abuchholzAlright16:04
abuchholzSo. Stefan has been a great help, and I have been developing an app to work with LibreOrganize16:05
abuchholzSpecifically the app will allow a user with the correct permissions to create and modify wikis16:05
abuchholzThe app is almost done just need to test some things and then I will have to port over the current data in the novawebdev wiki16:06
abuchholzfound here: http://novawebdev.webfactional.com/index.php?title=Main_Page16:06
SITarabutaAlso, I managed to give aelkner a mini heart-attack yesterday16:06
SITarabutaThankfully, he is fine16:06
jelknerLoL16:07
abuchholzACTION is done.16:07
jelkneryes, he called me16:07
nrcernaGreat!16:07
nrcernaThe next belongs to you SITarabuta 16:07
nrcernaNOVALACIRO is up for testing featuring: translation, improved design responsiveness (down to 3.5inch devices), memberships, events, and boxes (SITarabuta)16:07
SITarabutaWell, that is pretty self-explanatory16:08
nrcerna+116:08
jelknerSITarabuta, i have a question16:08
SITarabutaThat is about it. I will give you an IP after the meeting16:08
SITarabutaSure16:08
jelknerbefore you finish16:08
ubuntouristSITarabuta: You should mention your search button. ;-)16:08
jelknerso, hrodriguez is here16:08
jelknerand this is for lbolz too16:08
SITarabutaubuntourist :-)16:09
jelknerwhat is the plan to have her log-in, see her members, and begin using LO to outreach to her community?16:09
SITarabutaShe should be able to test that today or tomorrow. Still have to migrate the data16:09
SITarabutaaLSO16:10
SITarabutaAlso*16:10
jelknerSITarabuta, can we plan on that for tomorrow afternoon?16:10
SITarabutaok16:10
SITarabutaFor outreach, we can also set up a mailing list16:10
jelkner4 pm? hrodriguez will that work for you?16:10
ubuntouristBTW, Quick interruption for those of us not in the know.16:10
hrodriguezyes, it works for me16:10
jelknerlbolz?16:11
lbolzyep16:11
ubuntouristCould everyone type their real name?16:11
jelknercool16:11
jelknerACTION done16:11
ubuntourist= Kevin Cole16:11
jelkner= Jeff Elkner16:11
abuchholz= Adrian Buchholz16:11
hrodriguezHeylin Rodriguez 16:11
ubuntourist(Lots of new "faces" here.)16:11
nrcerna= Natalia Cerna16:11
lbolzLena Bolz16:11
CMoranCaleb Moran16:11
SITarabuta= Stefan-Ionut Tarabuta16:11
Amina25Amina Luvsanchultem16:11
PAldeaPaul Aldea16:11
bcassattBen Cassatt16:11
SAhmadSameen Ahmad16:11
zOnny= Edzon Quinteros16:12
ubuntouristThanks all! We now return to your regularly scheduled program...16:12
nrcernaGreat!16:12
lbolzwait actually jeff 4pm won't work for me16:13
jelknerlbolz, let's talk after16:13
lbolzsure16:13
nrcernaOk the last one: business tracker progress (zOnny GFbot)16:13
nrcernaGFbot and zOnny , Could you please give a brief report of what you worked?16:14
GFbotwell zOnny and I made a good progress this week working on the views and functionality of the application.16:15
GFboti was working of the detail part of the invoice16:15
GFbotnow we can have our PDF invoice16:15
GFbotfor each customer.16:15
jelknerawesome16:16
GFbotyou'll be able to see a preview invoice16:16
GFboton the detail view16:16
jelknerGFbot, question16:16
GFbotyes?16:16
jelknerdo we have a form yet to enter info to create the invoice?16:17
SITarabutaGFbot, can you push the code? I am excited for this one! I want to learn how to build PDFs with Django16:17
GFbotyes jelkner16:17
jelkneri don't want to get into the weeds now, but we need to talk about how invoice numbers are generated16:18
jelknernow that we are building our own tool, we can automate and rationalize that process16:18
jelknerlet's talk after16:18
GFbotjelkner yes16:18
nrcernaYes we talked about a customer ID and Invoice ID jelkner 16:18
nrcernaIn order to organize it16:19
jelknersuper, you're one step ahead of me as usual ;-)16:19
nrcerna;)16:19
GFbot:)16:19
GFbotjelkner we hope you can meet with Alan today16:19
nrcernaSo they are going to share the progress with Alan today16:19
GFbotto see the progress.16:19
nrcernaCould you join us jelkner ?16:20
ubuntouristI have weighed in on invoice IDs before and would like to do so again afterwards.16:20
jelkneri can't, nrcerna 16:20
jelkneri'm a bernie delegate to the va convention16:20
jelknerit's virtual16:20
jelknerso we have meetings on thursdays16:20
jelknersorry16:20
nrcernaOk np jelkner 16:21
nrcernaGreat ubuntourist , you can help us on that16:21
GFbot1+ ubuntourist16:21
nrcernaOk anyone has anything to add or share?16:21
GFbotACTION is done16:21
ubuntouristI'll go briefly:16:21
nrcernashoot16:22
ubuntourist1. While abuchholz and SITarabuta are working on wiki stuff, I wanted to have a backup16:22
ubuntouristSo the wiki SQL is both dumped to my local machine, and now, searchable via the Wayback Machine at Internet Archives as of this morning.16:23
SITarabutaOh, great!16:23
abuchholzThanks16:23
SITarabutaSo I don't have to worry about that16:23
SITarabutaBecause we had a heart attack yesterday16:23
SITarabutaBut anyway16:23
jelknerAs our crazy friend from Vermont often says16:24
SITarabutaI learned PHP yesterday lmao16:24
abuchholz+116:24
jelknerThe five most important works in the IT industry:16:24
jelknerDid you back it up!?16:24
ubuntourist2. "mumble" is a lightweight audio only server now running on our site directly.16:24
jelknerwow, ubuntourist 16:24
jelknerthat sounds super promising16:24
jelknersound is much lighter then video16:25
jelknerand is usually all we need16:25
ubuntouristA bit clunky, but I suggest, if you've got a few KB to spare, apt install mumble and try it out.16:25
jelknersound plus screen share16:25
ubuntouristI'll put further instructions in e-mail.16:25
ubuntourist3. Riot.IM is a free / open source parallel to Discord. Trying to do all the same stuff.16:26
jelknerubuntourist, just looked Plumble is the android app for that on F-Droid16:26
ubuntouristIt doesn't do it as well, but it gets much of the same features. Watch for it to improve.16:26
ubuntourist4. And finally, as demonstrated before the meeting, Jitsi, which uses the open WebRTC standard worked pretty well.16:27
nrcerna+116:27
ubuntouristRiot.IM connects to Jitsi as do other services. But... there are instructions for how to host our own Jitsi meet on our servers.16:28
ubuntouristMy guess is it's pretty bandwidth intensive, and so, we want to tread cautiously here.16:28
ubuntouristACTION is done (he thinks).16:28
jelkneryou rock, ubuntourist 16:28
nrcerna+116:29
nrcernaSo I think we are done?16:29
ubuntouristjelkner: the benefits of lockdown and boredom. ;-)16:29
jelknerwhen life gives you lemons, ubuntourist, make lemonade ;-)16:30
ubuntouristP.S. I'm in this chat via the Jitsi client, not Hexchat.16:30
ubuntouristSo, newbies, etc, any interests etc you'd like to share?16:31
PAldeaNot much. Personally, I've been going through django and ubuntu tutorials for the last couple of days.16:32
ubuntouristPAldea: Most excellent.16:33
PAldeaI've found it all quite straight forward, so no burning questions so far.16:33
jelknerPAldea, don't hesitate to reach out with questions16:33
jelknerok, PAldea, so no need ;-)16:33
ubuntouristThat goes for all. email the gang and / or look for us on IRC / Discord...16:34
jelknerlbolz, hrodriguez, SITarabuta, abuchholz what time tomorrow can we meet?16:35
SITarabutaI am always free16:35
SITarabutathese days sooooo16:35
ubuntouristExpect me to be "Dark and  Surly" (TM) -- as opposed to "bright and early" -- but generally helpful.16:35
jelknersince lbolz says 4 pm won't work16:35
jelkneri'm available all day tomorrow16:35
lbolzi just can't meet between 3-4:3016:35
hrodriguezhow mucht time it woulf take?16:35
lbolzor between 12-116:35
jelknercan we meet at 4:30 pm16:36
jelknerlbolz, it may take awhile16:36
jelknerits a working meeting16:36
ubuntouristACTION will be right back ~ 2 minutes or less.16:36
lbolz4:30 works for me16:36
jelknerwe should all get accounts on the novalaciro site16:36
jelknerand begin testing things16:36
hrodriguezyeah that is fine with me16:36
jelknerSITarabuta, abuchholz 4:30 pm tomorrow?16:36
abuchholzyeah16:36
SITarabutayep16:37
jelknercool, i'll reach out to ubuntourist to see if we can use mumble for this16:37
jelknersince we want to talk while we test the app through the browser16:37
GFbotjelkner can you call me tomorrow 16:37
jelkneri'll send an email tomorrow morning16:37
GFbot?16:37
jelknerwill do, GFbot 16:38
GFbot1+16:38
GFbotcool ty16:38
jelknernrcerna, you never officially ended the meeting16:38
nrcernaACTION Drops the bag of gravel16:38
nrcernaI was waiting jaja16:39
jelknerthis was such fun!16:39
jelknera great meeting, nrcerna 16:39
nrcerna+116:39
nrcernaThanks everyone!16:39
nrcernaSee you on sunday16:39
*** CMoran has left #novawebdev (None)16:39
ubuntouristokay. I've still got the jitsi meeting room up (or rather, I closed and re-opened.)16:39
PAldeaHave a good day everyone!16:40
*** hrodriguez has left #novawebdev (None)16:40
jelkneryou too, PAldea 16:40
Amina25Thank you!16:40
jelknerThank you, Amina25!16:40
SAhmadThank You So Much!!16:40
ubuntouristSomeone should try the audio-only dial-in phone number which I can share here.16:40
jelknerYou too, SAhmad!16:40
*** SAhmad has left #novawebdev (None)16:40
jelknerubuntourist, i have until 1:30 pm16:41
jelkneri can work with you on mumble16:41
jelkneri'd like an easy to use free software group audio solution16:41
jelknerif mumble works16:41
jelknerwe're in business16:41
jelknerubuntourist, tell me what to do16:41
ubuntouristOk, I'll shut down jitsi meet because my computer gets confused with two competing audio apps.16:41
jelknerfirstly, i installed plumble16:41
jelknerbut that is for my phone16:42
ubuntouristBefore that: Invoices16:42
jelknerwhat about desktop?16:42
jelknerok16:42
jelknerInvoices?16:42
abuchholzjelkner. wiki app is done. All the data from the current wiki should be moved over to the app by tonight or tomorrow morning and will be live on novawebdevelopment.org.16:42
jelknerabuchholz, SITarabuta can you update the dash board16:42
jelknerand SITarabuta, time to remove the April Fools joke16:43
GFbotlol16:43
jelknerit worked like a charm16:43
jelknerthis April Fool was totally caught by it16:43
ubuntouristMy suggestion while Louis was at the helm: A unique letter identifier for the CONTRACT not the company, followed by a sequence number (or date in the form yyyymmdd for easy sorting).16:43
jelknerbut I'm an easy target ;-)16:43
nrcerna+116:43
jelknersince being a fool comes natural to me16:44
nrcernathats what I mentioned GFbot, ubuntourist 16:44
nrcernaBut can we assign a identifier to the customer , something like this:16:44
jelknerubuntourist, the only problem with that16:44
ubuntouristnrcerna: This avoids the situation we had where we had two simultaneous Gallaudet contracts. Naming them after the project (or contract) allowed them to be kept separate.16:44
jelkneris that we often won't have contracts16:45
jelknerjust invoices16:45
jelknerour "real" customers16:45
jelknerlike Gallaudet16:45
jelknerwill have contracts16:45
nrcernaWait, Im going to send you the structure I mentioned16:45
nrcernaubuntourist, 16:45
jelknerbut small potatoes ones won't16:45
ubuntouristjelkner: OK, after the "project" not the person or organization.16:45
jelkneri have neither experience nor insight16:46
nrcernawe want to use services as well as identifier, this could help us a lot to find 16:46
jelknerso i will defer to the wiser among you16:46
jelknerall i want is a consistent, well defined system16:46
jelknerwhatever it is16:46
ubuntouristIn addition, there should be a system for linking the person or organization to the contracts or projects, as well as the status of said project.16:46
jelkner+116:46
jelknerthat's why we are building a database16:46
jelkneri'm assuming my brother will help guide that properly16:47
jelknerbut you would have the last word, ubuntourist 16:47
jelknersince it is our system we are building16:47
ubuntouristSo, at a glance, someone can look at, say, Liz Guzman, and see that she had one project, now complete, another pending, and one "in progress" or some such.16:47
jelkner+1!!!16:48
nrcernawe talked this structure with GFbot 16:48
jelknerwe need that desperately16:48
nrcernaNVL-WD-040220 ---- 16:48
nrcernaFirst: Customer ID16:48
nrcerna ---Then: Service (WD- Webdesign)16:48
nrcerna---Then: Date 16:48
jelknerso, nrcerna 16:48
nrcernawe can assign ID for each service16:48
nrcernalike this:16:48
ubuntouristOK, I will leave it to others and weigh in from time to time, since it seems we're all on the same page.16:48
jelknerit will be an important time for GFbot and zOnny to learn SQL16:49
jelknerand for you, nrcerna, to gain a deeper understanding of relational databases as an idea16:49
abuchholzjelkner I removed the April Fools joke16:49
jelknerand how they work16:49
jelknerthanks, abuchholz!16:49
nrcernaWeb design (WD) , Support (SP),Graphic design (GD), Database (DB), Consulting (C) and Hosting (H)16:50
jelknerand we will add GIS in the future nrcerna 16:50
ubuntouristnrcerna: Sorry, didn't mean to interrupt. What's the ID idea? (P.S. jelkner: think about your book identification parsing.16:50
nrcernaThe Customer ID or invoice ID? ubuntourist 16:51
ubuntouristwe won't need anything that complex, but something that can easily be broken into parts and put back together...)16:51
nrcerna+116:51
ubuntouristnrcerna: You were saying "we can assign ID for each service. Like this:" and it looked like you were about to say more.16:51
nrcernathe Invoice ID could be: NVL (customer ID) + WD (Contracted service) + 040220 (Date)16:52
ubuntourist+116:52
nrcernathis: (the services)--- Web design (WD) , Support (SP),Graphic design (GD), Database (DB), Consulting (C) and Hosting (H)16:52
nrcernaGFbot, Also created the categories and we can add the services as well16:53
nrcernaalso he worked on the status: Created, sent, paid and pending16:54
nrcerna(this is the status of the invoices)16:54
ubuntourist(I would argue for fixed length,i if possible. If not, be consistent with field delimiters. I'd argue for "." as the delimiter.)16:54
ubuntourist(But "-" is okay too.)16:54
nrcernadash or dot? ubuntourist 16:55
ubuntouristI like dot, but dash is okay. I think it's more of a personal preference.16:55
nrcernaGreat16:55
ubuntouristBut pick one and we should all use it.16:55
ubuntouristACTION is done with that.16:56
nrcerna+116:56
ubuntouristjelkner: mumble etc16:56
nrcernaGreat we have a basic structure!16:56
nrcernaIm going to work on the customers ID16:56
GFboti used to use mumble and then TeamSpeak 3 in 201216:57
GFbotubuntourist16:57
nrcernaGFbot, could you try this : https://meet.jit.si/NovaWebDevelopment16:58
nrcernanow16:58
nrcernaI want to try something jaja16:58
ubuntouristjelkner: You SHOULD just be able to tell it to connect to novawebdevelopment.org and  use the default port.16:58
GFbotim there16:58
GFbot?16:58
nrcernaTry to talk I cant see you16:59
GFboti can see ubuntourist16:59
nrcerna+116:59
ubuntouristLooks like you have your mics muted and video muted.16:59
nrcernaYou are in but not as German17:00
GFbotmm17:00
GFbotdone17:00
nrcernaFellow Jitster17:00
nrcernawhy he was loging with other name ubuntourist ?17:01
nrcernaIs something about security?17:01
nrcernaI mean privacy17:01
ubuntouristnrcerna, GFBot But I'm trying to use two competing systems. I'm going to drop out of Jitsi to help jelkner with mumble. But I'll answer first.17:01
GFbotok17:02
nrcernagreat17:02
ubuntouristnrcerna: I see GFbot and YOU are listed as "other jitser"17:02
nrcernaThats weird17:02
ubuntouristI'm out of jitsi. Carry on without me for a minute.17:04
ubuntouristjelkner: You there?17:04
nrcernaGFbot, can you hear me?17:04
GFbot1+17:04
ubuntouristjelkner: novawebdevelopment.og port 64738 (the default) and a username.17:05
jelknerubuntourist, prototol? http or https?17:18
jelknerubuntourist, it has a password field on the add server plumber screen17:18
ubuntouristIt shouldn't need a protocol. It has a port.17:18
jelknerdo i need a password?17:19
ubuntouristNope.17:19
jelknerping, ubuntourist 17:28
jelknerubuntourist, i have a 2 pm meeting with hrodriguez and daniela17:29
jelknerubuntourist, before you add any passwords17:29
jelknercan we use the mumble for that?17:29
ubuntouristjelkner: Just before you left the desktop mumble, I got this weird audio that sounded like Alvin and the Chipmunks on acid.17:36
jelknerubuntourist, just finished my student meeting17:54
jelknerthat was me17:55
jelknerit was my desktop17:55
jelkneri could hear you perfectly17:55
jelknerbut i had head phones on17:55
jelknerand was trying to use the mic in my webcam17:55
jelknerit didn't work, obviously17:55
jelkneri'm about to try my phone again17:56
jelknerubuntourist, with head phones17:56
*** nrcerna16 has joined #novawebdev19:12
jelknerACTION signs off for awhile (nap time ;-)20:56
*** hrodriguez has joined #novawebdev22:54
*** hrodriguez has left #novawebdev (None)22:54
*** nrcerna has joined #novawebdev23:01
*** hrodriguez has joined #novawebdev23:48
*** hrodriguez has left #novawebdev (None)23:48

Generated by irclog2html.py 2.17.2 by Marius Gedminas - find it at https://mg.pov.lt/irclog2html/!